Welcome to the United Nations | Department of Economic and Social Affairs

FINISHED TRANSCRIPT

 

NINTH ANNUAL MEETING OF THE

INTERNET GOVERNANCE FORUM 2014

ISTANBUL, TURKEY

"CONNECTING CONTINENTS FOR

ENHANCED MULTI‑STAKEHOLDER INTERNET GOVERNANCE"

 

04 SEPTEMBER 2014

09:00

 

DYNAMIC COALITION ON INTERNET AND CLIMATE CHANGE

 

 

***

The following is the output of the real‑time captioning taken during the IGF 2014 Istanbul, Turkey, meetings.  Although it is largely accurate, in some cases it may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors.  It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the session, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

***

 

>> CRISTINA BUETI:  Good morning, everyone.  And acknowledge that it is very early morning so ‑‑ and this conference is already run the day before the last so people of course are getting from all those activities we have here, it is becoming more and more difficult I understand.  What I suggest now because we have a very cozy setting if people could, if we could move closer to here, so we could have a little bit more cozy discussion with everyone closer to each other. 

So, first of all, before opening it up, I will just want to welcome everyone.  This is the seventh meeting of the dynamic Coalition on Internet and Climate Change.  I think we have had a good track record of the work and this meeting is to reflect on that.  We also have another side event immediately after this meeting where some more presentations.  So our publishing is working well.  Before I go into more detail comments, I would like to pause the floor and ask his excellency to open the meeting and to give the opening remarks and to present the issues in the area and what is important for us. 

Thank you very much.

>> HIS EXCELLENCY:  Thank you.  Good morning to you all.

Well, I have been to this coalition meeting previously.  Let me start by saying that this is the most vulnerable Country in the world with climate change.  At the moment, if there is 89 centimeters rising sea level, 20% of us will be under water.  And 18 million people will be climbing Refuzi.  That is one of the positions.  Because of the changes in the climate change which cannot be justified technically but so visible and we are being affected by that for example the monsoon cycle has been changed.  That affects the whole culture situation of the Country and we in Bangladesh we have the largest forest of the world and that is a sank should we are for fish breeding also.  Almost half is under water.  A part of the daytime and nighttime is within the Tidal psych sole the water level rises and comes down but the trees grow up to almost 100 feet, 200 feet a forest.

Well, we belong South Asia and South Asia is in the North governed by the Great Unilaz.  There is evidence of global retreating in the Himalayas and because of the climate change, we are experiencing sudden and frequent cycles which are threatening the coastal belt.  A change of the monsoon rains as I said which is hitting.  We are experiences flash floods.  We have seen the water is coming from the upstream from the near Nepal.  So suddenly we are experiencing flash floods.  So naturally these are certain phenomenas.

We are noticing at this moment.  Bangladesh at the moment is the second largest fish fraction countries of the world.  Within top ten.  And Bangladesh is the 6th cultural production company within the world in the sixth position so you can understand we have 160 million people.  Only 160,000 square kilometers, but it's second in inland fisheries and in the top ten of the world and sixth.  So that is one of the positions of Bangladesh.

As you know, in our Country and other Developing Countries it is being enclosed in three ways, physically, chemically and biologically.  That is pollute go in the whole river system.  These are certain things which I mention to come to the point that how ICT can be applied to adapt to this situation.  In the meantime we are coping up with the cyclones, flash floods and the salit nutrition into the sea and into the coastal built to the top.

Banlades is supposed to be the capital of the world.  We have developed salinity, tolerant rise seas.  We have developed flood development rises.  That means when the water level rises, the rise plantation is not so much.  The rice plant grows with the level of the water so the production is there.

We have drought tolerant seed in the North so water is less.  So three types of seeds we have already invented and we are producing rising three different categories.  We are coping up with the flood, we are coping up with the drought, we are coping up with the salinity. 

So the point is now almost we have a fishing community on the sea all the time 24 hours, seven days/365 almost 100,000 people are on the sea, they are fishing and they are from the coast, they go up to 100 kilometers with small trowlers.

Now, how we apply ICT.  ICT all the fishing trowler is are equipped with a very small warning system and gadgets.  Society takes them almost six to seven of us to come back to the coast if the proper warning is there.  So loss of life is not that much.  In the moment if you have early warning system about the climate, early warning system will help you safe lives and also help to save the property.

We are in Bangladesh.  We are waiting for this reduction plan number meant, disaster management plan II.  After disaster recovery plan up grating to the communication infrastructure in the whole Country, especially in the coastal builds.  Early warning system we have doubled up with mobile phones radio network and radio frequencies.  Then we can, by plotting data on the weather report we can depict the possible cyclones so that saves life.  And a disaster emergency response and relieve efforts we have we developed a team and task force.  After the cyclone is hit, because of a very good network and community network Bangladesh, reach the people quickly because areas are destroyed but by applying ICT we can save lives.

For this we think the emergency communication standard should be doubled up internationally.  And how to upgrade the telecommunication infrastructure in the Country which is vulnerable to natural disasters.  So that is where we can apply our mind. 

There are several barriers which hinder moment of sources.  So Bangladesh is trying to grow and I ask the world IT especially to remove the regulatory barriers be identified and be level so the moment of the telecom resources to their disaster plan zone to reach the continue net up to the climate difference.  We need to develop a data bank. 

Data banks, for example, you can go for the whole coastal build.  We have 22 billion people living in the coastal build who are literally affected.  So these 22 million data banks mean how they cope with the cyclones and disaster, how they change their life due to how they adapt to new livelihood.  Also that is very important.  So how they are switching to their new system and adapting to the new system.  How they are coping up with the disasters.  Here we have the data bank that is applied efficiently and help the planners to plan and take steps to save their lives and save that production cycle.

Then there is, because we live in a zone and many countries of the world also live in a zone.  We are in South Asia.  We have 54 rivers coming from the up string coming into to Bangladesh.  We need to build across border governmental team.  That is very important because alone Bangladesh cannot copy up with the national disaster.  We say the three tear planning is necessary, global, emissions and all these things, second is regional and national.  So three tiered planning is necessary to mitigate and adapt to climate change.

For that cross‑border governmental team is very important.  They will look into the results into the Himalayas and they will look at the monsoon cycle in the region.  They will look at a flash flood sequence and cycles in the region.  That will help to plot and develop a strategy to mitigate and adapt and we need also a globally and regionally harmonized frequencies.  So that is important for management.

So let us establish standards for energy efficient ICT equipment to leverage for Carbon emissions across the sector including health care, power and financial sectors.  So time has come, because you know ICT are pollute go the environment but the challenge is how ICT can be designed so less Carbon, greenhouse gases is less emitted.  There is one challenge which need and Bangladesh cannot do it alone, it needs international community to look into the whole team to emit less Carbon gases, emission because in Bangladesh we are applying ICT in almost all sector from governance to health sector.  Already we're applying the health sector in the citizen harvest sector.  So naturally Bangladesh.  The TV sets and the computer P.C.'s you will see at night they are not switched off.  How we go for a national and international level in this campaign.  Switching on the TV sets and the P.C.'s 24 hours that pollutes the environment.

Another important thing which I think technical community would have to look about the cloud computing.  Does cloud computing instill greater or reduced Carbon emissions?  That is to be assessed.

What to put these harbor funds.  We need to pro put sustainable ICTs equipment.  Also to have a minimum impact on the environment. 

So how I, too, as an international organisation can come up with technical advice to look into the whole team that is important.

Another thing, teleworking can reduce carbon gases.  That means sitting in your office and not moving in the cars to the office or teleworking.  If you increase the teleworking system within international borders that will set the Carbon and greenhouse gases emission very bad.

So another thing is low Carbon ICT isolations in the broad band plans.  In digital strategies to create web for this respect.  Because Bangladesh is planning by 2015 that at least 40% of the population will have broad band connection.  It's very important and necessary of the if you want to take this necessity, if you want to bridge the gap between urban and rural and you close the gap over the divide, then Bangladesh need to develop countries and people need to have an access to broad band.  Low Carbon ICT in the broad band plan is very important which we have not developed, I think, the global community.  We need to address this issue how you develop in low Carbon ICT solution for broad band plan.

Having said that, E106 on international emergency system for disaster relief.  That has been a standard proposed by the I 2.

Having said all these things, let me say that ICT can be used to adapt for climate.  Bangladesh is already agreeing and trying to apply ICT using mobile phone networks, radio frequencies, community frequencies and developing early warning system a database for flood teams and other things.  Database is very important how you analyze the database.  How the analogies can help you to save millions of lives.

Having said that, let me say thank you very much.  I think ICT do pollute the environment, but there are many ways you can reduce it.  ICT can be applied in such a way to help and get the climate change appropriate.

>> H.E. HASANUL HAW INU:  This is very good agenda remark showing what still needs to be done both nationally, regional and internationally I think and that's in some regard to some of the proposals for what coalition could be doing as well at least contributing to it.  So thank you very much.

Now I'll just, on behalf of ITU, and I think it is my pleasure also just contribute to share our thoughts on the work of dynamic Coalition on Internet and climate change and what we are doing and how we are going to reach into that work.

This is the seventh meeting.  We have been together for seven years and I think so far we've seen various activities are being developed and we see good engagement with this stakeholders.

This dynamic has contributed to stimulating awareness on the power of technologies to combat climate boost environmental sufficiency and sustain development across all society sees.  Internet and ICT have redefined the world and with time and space has shaped the way we communicate, create, disseminate, stall story and manage information creating and even more connect work.

However, our world as defined by ICTs, still experiences many challenges.  Population growth, energy consumption, green coast gas emission and the ever impending climate change has led to the push for stable development.

John Maynercane says the lives develop with the new ones and not the old ones.  The concept of stability we're still far from achieving our own sustainable behaviors.

But we have another scientist Steven Hawkins perspective that says intelligence is the ability to adapt a change.  If these is our answer to data stability to change. 

Internet and green ICTs lead sustainable future.

Green ICTs with lower Internet with varied performance such as lowering energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.

It uses and improves efficiency in all sectors and the course and speed in enhancing acquisition and communication of skills increase all across the side.

It is no longer just a requirement for green, which is a necessity which is impair it tee for us to sustain life on this planet.

ITU naturally as part of its mandate to obtain sustainable future has been raising awareness on importance and opportunities as using ICTs as well as standards to build green economy.  Chance is the reason we are all here today and I have no doubt that this meeting is also we discussed we have people here to make an effective platform for sharing information and getting each of us inspiration of green ICT practices on futures needs and how we can use the Internet to build a green economy and a sustainable future.

ITU as a U.S. agency for ICTs is installing policies, regulatory frameworks and recognize these standards enable monitoring and reduce energy consumption.  ITU does that through our world conference of developmental policies and we recently have to see our world conference in due by where we have 1300 participants with activities in the climate change.  International organisation, and again we've been releasing standards on importance for in terms of climate change.

Now international treaties on the use of the radio spectrum and international communications.  Also minister mentioned the need of discussing and discussing the need of radio frequencies for the specific emergency response.  Again, next year we have our landmark event which is world conference which is again discusses the location of radio spectrum globally and no doubt this topic will also be informing and also shaping the discussions.

Work on climate monitoring have primarily been focused on using the use of ICTs technologies standards and support of education.  Weather, forecasting, predicting, effecting and mitigating the effects of national disaster.

We also work for climate monetary, to carry our studies in order to increase the use of remove sensors and so on.  For example, we also have a long‑standing work with organisations with submarine cables for climate change prediction and for disaster prediction and how we can use that infrastructure everywhere, on the ocean floor to improve our abilities to predict important events.

We're moving into climate change of rotation.  As we all know climate change is a complex challenge.  ICTs can help countries build resilience, building partnerships and stakeholder collaboration, awareness reasoning and community engagement.

Also public safety is a priority for our countries.  ICTs can make a huge difference in disaster preparation, early warning and response.  Data collecting for monitoring will be used for disaster preparations.  We see this especially in response and preparation elements of disaster elements is becoming more and more imminent in our minds as we see climate change and we see more and more events happening in various parts of the world that needs a fast response and it needs important recovery and this is now starting one of the topics that dominate the news from various parts of the world.

Climate change mitigation and reduction in the concentration in greenhouse gases have the ability of reducing the resources in increasing these things.  ICT based technologies can have a systemic impact and can help in providing a basis for sustainable development

Sustainable development cannot become a reality in isolation.  Much more is needed to provide policies and initiatives to improve environmental performance of ICTs.  Encourage improvement of performance along the entire life cycle as well as to make non ICT sectors more resource sufficient.

As we know, even though ICTs only contribute an hour and 2% of user gas emissions, they can reduce that which is another safe to 15 to 25%.  This is ICTs as we say in sustainable development the agenda is not a problem, it's a solution.

Let's, therefore, change from spectators and participants to cease this opportunity to share our respective views and commit our energies to a realization of a sustainable future using the pour power of green ICTs.  We are committed to that, we have a very strong agenda of interrelated climate change framework, some activities, and we will take part in a UN summit organized by Sec general as a side event of the general assembly on related to reenergizing our efforts of working in the climate change as a whole community.

As I mentioned we have important events neck year improving our radio spectrum and this is our commitment for that area.  We believe that ICTs should be fully harnessed as a solution.  Should be fully presented as a solution and we should also understand that in our community and also help other communities understand how they could use that. 

So this is our contribution.  And I would also like Mr. Thomas Lamos to share your activities, your work, and your views on that area now.       Thank you.

>> TOMAS LAMANAUSKAS:  Thank you.  EPU broadcasting union is one of the eight broadcasting unions of the world that are gathering the family called world broadcasting union, and we act in a very coordinated manner with this other members.

The broadcasting is a transition phrase.  In Europe this transition face is near to the end with the realization.  That means that in Europe or most of Europe now the signal is totally digital, except a few countries, and this process as you know as a deadline next year all over the world in June 2005 teen.  We don't know if it will much, much all over the world but this is the trend.

This trend is an impact also on Carbon emission.  This transition implies a lot of changes in the chain of production, in the chain of transmission of the broadcasting signal.

The main change is that in the past we have a very simple chain.  One broadcasting signal.  Broadcast means reaching everybody.  It was one communicate tore reaching everybody while in the new digital environment it's now possible to combine the broadcasting with a narrow casting with an individual casting that up and through combination of broadcasting in broad band.

This has an impact on climate change, too.  In the sense that the transmission together with the passage to digital reduce the energy consumption in a certain sense, but if you combine the digital transmission to the broad band transmission that you are obliged to do in order to provide to your viewers, the possibility to access through broad band network it means that you multiply the transmission of the signal for each individual that receive the signal.

So if you have a webcasting, you reduce this signal because you concentrate and you oblige the viewers to follow like a broadcasting transmission on the broad band.  So you have a reduced consumption.  If you have individual access in each programme individually, this means that the same programme has to be retransmitted by the server to each individual each time.  If you multiply this by the 4 billion viewers of the World Cup, if all the World Cup viewers will access to the signal of the World Cup event, a one‑to‑one connection this, will destroy all the communication system, all the network because the signal will be so big that it cannot be supported by the existing network.

So we have a growing problem there and lie explain in better detail in the next panel where we have a representation about what has been achieved in the broadcasting sector.  We are reducing consumption in the normal transmission because of the two digital move, but we are increasing Carbon emission because of the multiplication of the platform and the one to one access.  The new motto for broadcasting is to view the programme any time, anywhere, anyhow means that you multiply the same signal transmission.  Any time means all around the day.  Any hour, it means through multiple platform.  Anywhere means that there is to be spread around a different kind of network that cover all the possible places.

This is one issue that is the issue on which we are concentrating now and we are to see how we can tackle with that.  Technology is not a resolution for reducing the impact. 

There are other impact with the digitalization that we are coping with and this is why when we talk of the digitalization we mean mainly transmission digitalization.  More and more the production is becoming digital, full digital so it means that we are moving from broadcasting technology, purely broadcasting technology to digital technology.  So more and more we are going to using servers.  These servers produce Carbon nation because they need to be refrigerated, et cetera, et cetera.  So this is another side effect of digitalization.

While one of the big achievement has been developed by technology in the last year is the cold lighting in the studios because we are moving from the old transmission, the old lighting equipment that we're very energy consumption based to new nowhere consumption based lighting systems that of course create also problems because we are used to have this hot light when you look at the studio.  When you go to the cold light, there is an impact also on the image and the updates of the viewers.

This to mention as you view and as other organizational broadcasting union, our main efforts consist in identify which are the problems, identify who among the members has developed best practices and to try to sing you late the best practices in order to speed the process of announcement and in order to make all members able to share the progress that the most advanced have achieved in the past.  This work cooperates in the organisation because this is why we are here.  Within the ICU we participate to many good which we focus on on how to reduce Carbon emission in the I CT industry.  Last year we incorporate to the production of this tool kit that is very useful because we have spread around all the members, and members and all the members have all possible ideas to cope with the new problem and how to reduce the Carbon emission in the old technologies.

Broadcasting is also other important roles to play in this field.  I'm pleased to listen from the minister, and also from ITU, that communication is essential and broadcasting still, especially in the developing board play a very crucial role for spreading at the same time t same communication to everybody.  That is essential for the prevention and is essential for disaster recovery and for disaster.  The experience for the tsunami in Brazil a few years ago shows even after a few days of the collapse of a power system was the radio.  That is the oldest media electronic media that we know about.  It was the most resilient.  If you have batteries and you have a radio and you were in the disaster zone you were still able to communicate.  If you have a phone or TV set you cannot because the flood interrupted the power supply.

In this sense, there are new interactions that need to be built.  The most advance in this field are our friends of Asia‑Pacific broadcasting union because this is the area of the world where this kind of problem are more frequently rising and there is, I'm pleased to say there is in this days a congressional conference organized by our friends in Indonesia, I think, about how broadcasting cope with the disaster recovery.  And there will be next year in Sundai in Japan in the area affected by tsunami a world conference of the UN about recovery that we will participate and already committed.

This brings me to the last points I want to mention, that is the awareness.  As made aware of the Pacific role is to role to recreate awareness.  Lots of this problem relates to behavior of single citizen.  We cannot tackle, really, in deep the problem with the climate change and the energy consumption if we don't create an awareness among the citizens of the impact of this, of the climate change and of the possible solution.  They are not only solution by business, by the industry or by the government, but need to be taken by each individual.  And broadcasting still is the most powerful tool to arrive and to share within the communities a certain kind of awareness and even sharing practical solution and practical suggestion that could be applied at daily life.

So, there is a lot to do.  We do within our community.  We do within international organisation.  We do at the national level.  We do at the international level and we continue in this way and we will, through this coalition, we will continue to inform you of the progress and are ready, of course, to accept information for what we're doing.

As this coalition, and just a workshop, I think, maybe next, if you agree further, instead of just asking questions I would like to, you know, everyone here to introduce themselves and from your organisations and why you think, you know, what do you see for you important in ICTs and Climate Change topic and how is the organisation working with that.  If that is okay.  I think we should have a microphone here.

If it is okay.  Starting from the beginning.

>> STEVEN RENDAROS:  Hi.  My name is Steven Rendaros.  I work with a network in the United States called the media action grass roots network.  We are a network of about 175 locally based organisations in the U.S.  Most based in communities, in rural communities and some urban areas, as well as predominantly working with communities of color, African‑Americans, law teen owes, and immigrant communities.  For us I think this issue is relatively new in terms of thinking of the relationship between ICTs and Climate Change, but I know that a lot of the organisations within our network are very keen on climate change and doing a lot of work around that, so I think being able to build a bridge between the platforms that we use in order to organize and share stores as well as being aware of the potential of this technology to be applied towards climate change but also to be very aware of what some of the adverse risks are in terms of the prominent use of technology in our society.  I think those are things that we wants to create linkage jest to so this has been very helpful. 

>> KEZEL:  Good morning.  My name is Kezel.  I work for a centre called Rural Strategies in the United States and I coordinate a group called the rural policy group and our goal is to increase Internet access in rural and remote communities.

The centre for world strategies also manages a coalition called the national rural assembly which brings together over 500 organisations in the United States that are working in rural communities to discuss relevant issues and natural resources and Climate Change is one of those main topics.  Learning about how ICT and rural issues connect is something that is in our agenda and I really appreciate the remarks from the minister from Bangladesh, I feel in the United States there is not a lot of conversation about how climate change impacts primarily rural communities and we are at this predicament to having access to emergency information, emergency systems information, it's crucial for rural communities, but so we don't have access in the United States in rural areas but at the same time it has a tremendous impact in our communities in the sustainability of our communities.

A quick example, two examples.  I am from southern the United States, an area of South Texas which is right by the gulf coast so we get a lot of hurricanes and increasingly we have been impacted by stronger hurricanes and when the hurricanes strike, we lose Internet signal if you have it so telephones are actually our most reliable method of communications.  But then thinking about how of our communications are powered, a region of the United States that has been devastated by coal extraction is the Appalachian regions where mountain regions that creates energy, so these are issues that really impact our safety, our sustainability and the our abilities to our community to progress.

>> BOBBIE FLAME:  Hi.  My name is Bobbie Flame.  I work for the Department of Justice.  I think I am the odd man out here.  I am not involved with climate change, but it's something I am very interested in and is something I want to get more involved in and I think it is a very serious discussion and I'm here for a totally separate reason here at the IGF for internet governance and cyber crime and everything and when I saw this I think it is something very pertinent today and you're starting with a small group but I anticipate within a couple of years it is going to be a much larger group.  So I'm happy to be here, so thank you.

>> TOMAS LAMANAUSKAS:  Thank you. 

>> AUDIENCE:  I came from Japan Tokyo, and also I'm working for the University as a professor.  Also I'm serving as a board of trustee with ISOC. 

The topic you're covering about the climate change issues, as you know I mainly speak we have a serious tsunami.  Also we have a lot of local flash in these days because of the climate change.  Working more than ten years about detecting or monitoring the weather information.  Sometimes fighting the government because, you know, the weather system monitoring is a subject for the operation in the past.  Also very strong regulated way of monitoring of the weather is, you know, established.  Though there are huge number of sensors we have.  Say one example getting the huge information about to come over.  So that kind of thing the government or government agency asking very accurate information for disaster case or the weather, that is bad.

But this is thinks for some.  That is one of the thing we should think about how to monitor the earth from the viewpoint of the Internet of Things from the point of view.

The other point about cloud for computing point of view, I am working also data of business, then we start to share with the local government Tokyo data sent out was bad to shift to consume a huge energy, though once you had cloud computer, high gradation from the user office, huge amount of energy saving you can achieve.  Actually, we successfully more than 50% energy using cloud computer right after the earthquake in 2011.  The investment was only six months for the job investment.  That's no joke.  So local government started promoting use of the cloud computing in order to reduce a Carbon footprint from Tokyo.

Also the government having some kind of tax incentive or supporting the finance for companies, more companies be able to migrate computers servers to the data centre.  We discover footprint.  That is one example of how reduce the Carbon footprint using ICT or enter system. 

The other point you mentioned about broadcasting.  As you mentioned, of course TV sets never work without any power.  Then the battery equipment work fine, so after the tsunami, only the battery running personal computers running fine.  And also telephone systems never work.  Never.  After the earthquake during the blackout was the streaming TV programme.  One very brave younger high school guy taking a TV programme then capturing and sending to the Australian video over the Internet.  So the people who have the battery powered, you know, P PC then the people can see the TV programme in Tokyo.  Tokyo has a huge blackout.  Most of the people cannot see the TV programme because of blackout.  Thank you for the Internet.  You can see the TV programme that is illegal of broadcasting.  You can think about that.

After the earthquake a lot of access points were still gone though some of the area we cover them through the substrate IP broadcasting system ‑‑ I'm sorry, IP based South system as a back hole for this region.  Also the Wi‑Fi communication.  It was very powerful in the area.  So we have a lot of experience about those disaster education, disaster recovery using the Internet.  Though as I mentioned, we can share a lot of experience on how to use the internet.  Also in the disaster case, Japan experienced why the Internet is useful for the disaster case.  Telephone system never work. 

So that is yet another lesson.  Also the other point would be ‑‑ yeah.  Okay.  I think that's enough.

>> TOMAS LAMANAUSKAS:  Thank you.

>> GANAL:  Good morning.  Thank you.  My name is Ganal from Bangladesh firm.  I am coming some of what you've already said.  I am watching and learning because of ICT help climate change and people and to develop our nation so thank you very much.

>> TOMAS LAMANAUSKAS:  Thank you.

The suggestion was, we are trying to work together here, so the idea was to introduce each other and also how that topic is important from your perspective and from your organisation's prospective, so if you could say a few words.

I'm not pushing you.  Thank you very much.

We heard some very interesting remarks here and I think one thing I would like not to forget, so before you leave just once we're finished to give me your ‑‑ to give us your contact so we can include you, that is a very important interest here.  We said here very interesting remarks how communities interested in that topic and how we can reach out or help communities to do that work because, as I said, there is still a knowledge gaps.  They may have energy there and not have knowledge so how to combine those two to make sure the changes happen everywhere.  Also it is interesting to see that these problems again are not unique to some countries.  A very good overview from Bangladesh perspective but we see the United States as well so for very different parts of the world, maybe even different developmental countries, the problems they face sometimes can be very comparable and similar, so how we can share those experiences, that is a very valid platform.  We heard very specific solutions from Japan.

Please.

>> AUDIENCE:  I think that there are some interesting simulation because the idea of this dynamic organisation is to bring back to the daily work suggestion on which area we can improve. 

>> TOMAS LAMANAUSKAS:  And bring something relevant.

In everything I've heard from the participants, there are some further problems that bring me to reflect.  For instance, you say that you make a huge task in transferring databases to the cloud, but I'm thinking that this means simply that you transferred the problem to somebody else.  Because the cloud has to be on another server somewhere.  So unless we are thinking and this could be an idea that this will be to discuss that we move the servers, all the servers in Norway and Greenland, then where there will be no problem with refrigeration but the problem is simply shifted from one side to another.  And we need to think global.  I think that the climate change endeavor is to find global solution.  Not to move the problem from one side.  I'm not saying that you made the wrong thing.  You made the right thing, but you think locally while the problem is global, because what the Bangladesh experience is a problem that is not linked to Bangladesh but is global.  When you say that the gulf of Mexico hurricanes affect your area is not the prom problem stops at the border between Texas and Mexico.  It is a global problem and needs to be tackled at the global level.  So this is something that probably we need to ‑‑ there was a data that in our discussion that you struck me very much is that there is a global trend in all the sectors except in Developing Countries of reducing the Carbon emission except in the area of ICT, the only area where the trend is the opposite of the server areas.  Because everything that is moved into the servers reducing other kind of industries is having an impact because everything now it goes through servers somewhere.  So this is for one of the main areas that we need to concentrate our reflection.

The other suggestion that I got is that as is completely right and even on our side, the idea there are two separate ways of tackling the issue.  One is the disaster recovery and the communication in emergency, et cetera, et cetera and the other one is the climate change ask the reduction of Carbon emission.  Probably we need to make more interactive the two things because the problems are related, we know.  But also I think the point that has been mentioned to make more resilient the Internet communication in disaster situation is very important.

Using all possible technologies, the example you made of using the TV streamed over the computer system is interesting because you shift from one media that was not accessible to another one that is accessible and this flex billet tee now with the MGN technical solution that makes this more easily done.

So thank you for the simulation.  I think that Thomas have some food for thoughts to bring this back at you for better targeting our next work.

>> AUDIENCE:  Against a tsunami, all of the data centre survived to them more than 72 hours after the tsunami.  That is the reason why they will never be stopped.  All of the enterprise activity are going to be covered by the network computer server.  Actually most of the companies activity is based on the digitized, online, you know, processing is the key of the economy activities.  So because of the data centre works fine, the Japanese are going to never be stopped even because of the blackout, right.

Also, regarding energy issue you mentioned, that is an issue of the investment into the air‑conditioning system for example.  The data centre using the most state of art, you know, air‑conditioning system which is always improving a lot.  For example when you used a ten‑year old air‑conditioning system this system can include more than 40 or 30 percent energy efficiency.

In case of the user office, your air‑conditioning system lifetime would be 30 years or so.  Means very effective air‑conditioning system running in your office.

In the data centre, because of the data centre is very expensive for the air‑conditioning system from the viewpoint of the business operational part, they always making a very efficient operation.  That is the reason why actually the Carbon footprint of the server, you know, operation compared with the user office versus the data centre is that, you know, it's fatally different footprint.  So that is the reason why, you know, we successfully reduce a lot of energy by the cloud computing through the server room for data centre.  That is now happening in order to reduce Carbon footprint from every single office.  Also that is yet another possibility to demand control of the energy using those data centre operation.  Because it's going to be quite easy to control that and also the data centre has, you know, cold generators there means in a case of the power insufficient case, data centre could help easily because of it is the huge power as to be able to contribute the power to the community.  So that is the what we have done. 

>> TOMAS LAMANAUSKAS:  Thank you very much. 

>> AUDIENCE:  I have a question for the minister.  Something that we see in Texas is that telephone networks have strong regulations in the United States, which means that when a natural disaster hits telephone networks are required to have emergency battery back up.  So that's why when a natural disaster hits they are able to continue functioning and someone can call their family in another place.  But those regulations don't exist in Internet service.  So when a disaster hits, you cannot use the cloud the way that Japan is able to do that because not everyone has it and it's not working because it's not required to have its own energy back up.

You mentioned regulations that are barriers to Bangladesh to provide more deployment of ICT in your Country.  Can you talk about those regulations a little bit?  I would like to learn.

>> MINISTER:  What I tried to mention in that disaster zone when the telecommunication infrastructure is damaged as it happened in Japan when tsunami hit because we are experiencing these for many years, so we have switched over to the radiofrequency and to mobile networks so that is one area where we are connecting people very quickly before the cyclone has hit or during the cyclone hitting the target, then after the recovery plan.

The important thing that I discuss about the frequencies.  So here we need to intervene from the government to saw that a common frequency is developed for the disaster zone.  So normal communication resources, the element of spectrum and frequency but especially for the disaster management, that is not within the law.  So naturally in the business and private sector and the government sector.  What I was mentioning that the government and the private sector and should come forward to remove this length so the frequency in the telecommunication resources can be allotted for especially for the disaster.

>> TOMAS LAMANAUSKAS:  Thanks so much. 

>> AUDIENCE:  From here to Japan after the earthquake, we have two regulational changes to communication where the recommendation to people.  Actually, one of the things was the silicone system has a quite serious bodily player, therefore we ask them about 72 hours battery back up of every single access point in order to provide signal sending for wireless.

The other lesson was those communications didn't work, though the people want to speak out to the centre therefore we asking every single silicone provider they should provide kind of in a voice mail using the same interface as you're making a call.  The sell provider.  Meaning you turn the dial then speak up, that is it.

Then the voice has been recorded afterward the voice mail going to be sent through the network.  That is one of the things we are doing after the earthquake.

Regarding the data centre she mentioned, the data centre is naturally has to continue the service because of the professional service for the enterprise or, you know, the corporations, there for, they have their very strong disaster, you know, case meaning as I mentioned, back up as generators, as earthquake treatment so that that this is not a regulation, actually.  Though Japanese government actually having regulation about a great convention from viewpoint of the structure, the object.  And then, you know, other point is totally business oriented.

Naturally the Internet always face into the disaster, right.  In the case of SNS, once upon a time you heard very bad huge access is going to come or attack, accessing.  That is the reason why the Internet has been survived even after the earthquake.

>> TOMAS LAMANAUSKAS:  Thank you.  Thanks very much.  So I think we are good to have this, TO see how the solutions from different places can work.  So think, just using a few of the remaining minutes for the questions what's next because it is always, you know, I think one of the important things to think.  So meeting here is that it is just like checkpoint, to know where we are, what are we doing, but what is important to think for the 8th meeting, you know, in coming up with the 8th meeting and then between, you know, what should we do.  So are there any views on the project.  So I think first before maybe there is something from the floor just from what you're hearing and maybe there is some views, what do you think the important topic as a community we could work together.  Not on different organisations could contribute.  Maybe you have views.

>> AUDIENCE:  Yeah, I think that for the next year if we are able to think what are the priorities for the next year for broadcasting, a part of technical issues that I mentioned to you before, I think that the broadcasting of an important role in keeping informed the population about this is about what is happening and next year we will have the Paris conference in which this issue need to be discussed.  We arrived to this conference after some sufficient which was partially not successful decision, let's say, the Copenhagen some it was not so successful as we expect.  And so I think that this it is important to make aware the season of the importance of this issue and to make them more active when they go to their government in asking a more energetic and a more speed process for tackling the issue of the climate change.  Because the only one that can push are the citizens.  Now we are, especially in Europe, in this time of crisis, we are seeing coming back again the fact that we would prefer to have the economic progress at any cost in the short term and we are ready to put aside the long‑term concern.  The fact that there is now again a debate in Europe about the user they call because in the short terms this reduce the cost of the energy and there are cuts in the supporting alternatives energies, source of energies create this false contradiction between economic progress and the sustainability of the planet.  And I think that that is important for the media to be strong and tackle these issues giving to the season the all the elements and then they judge.  Of course, if you prefer the bread today instead of a safer environment in the future, you have to decide with a full awareness, then we will see what will be the final issue.

>> TOMAS LAMANAUSKAS:  Any views from the floor on that, as well?

So maybe then I'll just take a minute also for the way forward from what we are discussing today what we think of the most important element we can work on.

>> MINISTER:  Thank you very much.  In this moment, what is important is that when adopt with the climate change, the constant for most point is that you must have the data.  So if you don't have the data you cannot do anything.  So ICT is a tool by which you can collect the data, analyze the data and come up with the possible solutions.  So for the suggestion on recovery plan or disaster management, whatever is the case, that is very important.  For example, in the coastal belt of the world in Bangladesh the sea level is ten meters to 50 meters up to 300 kilometers.  200 kilometers.

Here it is officially there.  So the collecting data and monitoring this dip and officially network is very important to set the diversity of this particular coastal zone.  So I am trying to make a point that how you monitor how you have a soften on the total infect climate and the on the biodiversity and biological species and other things inland and on the sea also, so that is very important.  So I will ask that this is how you collect the datas more efficiently and how you store the datas, analyze the datas and give the possible solutions for at least reduction, disaster management plan and after disaster, recovery plan.  And you can go for subheadings

For example in the disaster prone areas, what is the ultimate way of livelihood?  There is another area where ICT can be applied very efficiently.  Taking up best practices and from the people living in that area who are switching over to the alternative livelihood.  So officially biodiversity on the land.  There is another thing.  If you can analyze the course of the river for a hundred years and 200 years, then you can predict the flat and all these and that they be heavier of the people living in the river banks and all these things.  So my suggestion would be the way forward next time there is one thing.

Another thing how you look at special frequency and how to use frequency generally and globally for disaster management.  That is a technical solution.  So thank you very much.

>> TOMAS LAMANAUSKAS:  Thank you very much.

Thank you for His Excellency.  Thank you very much.  To everyone, I think a cozy discussion, but very productive.  Thank you very much for all your contributions because that is how it is important.  It shouldn't be just someone speaking to anyone.  All of it conversing and finding the best solutions together ask that is what this event is about and that is what dynamic coalition is B reminder, before you leave me your contacts so we can hook you up to this work.  You can follow up not only next year but also in the ‑‑ during the year and also on 11 just remember we have at 11:00 we have Galla Hall the side event on this topic, we will have four presentations from European Consumers from Unesga, digital presentation from Jackamor.  So if you are interested in that we would be very happy to see you there.

Thank you very much. 

 

***

This is the output of the real‑time captioning taken during the IGF 2014 Istanbul, Turkey, meetings.  Although it is largely accurate, in some cases it may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors.  It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the session, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

 

***