Post Title: Webmaster/programmer
Duty Station : Geneva Switzerland
Application Deadline: 14 February 2014
Type of Contract : Individual Contractor
Post Level : Individual Contractor
Duration of Initial Contract
: 3 Months ( with the possibility of extension)
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Program and Technology Manager, the Contractor will:
- Maintain the IGF Web site and Content Management System (CMS) , as well as relevant forms and databases that enhance the functionality of the IGF Web site for remote interaction among stakeholders and with the IGF Secretariat.
- Build and maintain web forms and virtual collaboration tools for the IGF Web site, as needed.
- Propose new applications and features that can be incorporated to the IGF Web site and incorporate those approved by the Program and Technology Manager.
- Ensure that the IGF Web site runs smoothly and all the implemented features function properly and undertake troubleshooting of the Web site.
- Provide customer support to all Multistakeholder Advisory Group members and other stakeholders with regard to the functioning of the IGF Web site.
- Troubleshoot user reported problems with the IGF Web site and attempt to resolve as many technical problems on initial contact.
- Diagnose and resolve any software or connectivity problem with minimum delay and undertake routine troubleshooting of server systems.
- Administer and ensure the proper functioning of the online mailing lists to maintain effective communication between the IGF Secretariat and various IGF stakeholders.
- Work closely with the IGF Secretariat consultants to ensure that user requirements have been addressed and detect and report on any problem or shortcoming the Web site might have and provide recommendations and solutions.
- Improve the Web site in terms of W3C accessibility guidelines and user friendliness.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges.
- Remains calm in stressful situations.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
- Places team agenda before personal agenda.
- Builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members.
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services.
- Offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs.
- Promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas.
- Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks outside the box.
- Takes and interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things.
- Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Ability to write and speak in a clear and concise manner.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Bachelor degree in Computer Science. A Post graduate degree in Computer Science is highly desirable.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in the areas of Web development, Design and content management. Good knowledge of advanced computer operations, Web site design and management
- Knowledge of DBMS, PHP, mySQL and virtual collaboration.
- Advanced working knowledge of Joomla, Drupal, PHP and familiarity with LAMP technologies.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to prioritize and perform multi-skilled tasks.
- Experience in working in international environments.
Languages: Fluency in Oral and written English. Working knowledge of French highly desirable. Knowledge of other UN languages would be considered an asset.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and a cover letter to :
Last Updated on Thursday, 06 February 2014 15:46