You are here

IGF 2020 - MAG - Virtual Meeting - XVIII

The following are the outputs of the real-time captioning taken during an IGF virtual call. Although it is largely accurate, in some cases it may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. 

***

>> ANJA GENGO: Good afternoon, everyone from Geneva, Chengetai usually opens the MAG meetings, he will be joining us in a few minutes.  He is having a speaking engagement at the regional IGF southeastern Europe and I believe in just a few minutes he will be joining us.  In any case, it's 5:00 p.m. scheduled time in Geneva.  I suggest if the Chair agrees to wait one more minute to see if any other MAG members will be joining us.  In the meantime, please note that this meeting is being recorded and the  recording will not be public but if you need, it is for your internal records, we are happy to share the link with you.
 It's also being transcribed.  The transcript will be available on the IGF website by tomorrow and the summary reports will be shared in the next few days.

 >> CHAIR:  Thank hads very much Anja.  Welcome.  Everyone.  Yes, let's wait a minute longer and then get started.  In the meantime, if anyone knows of any apologies, just add to the chat.

 I think we can start.  Welcome, everyone.  This is our 18th MAG call of the year.  It's really quite astonishing how time has past.  So welcome to the MAG members, to the Secretariat and to our captioner, and to any observers that we might have with us today.  Let me just run through the agenda quickly and then we will note apologies.
 We will have the welcome from the Chair, then checking on action items from the previous meeting, so Secretariat, if you can be ready to display those.  Then we will have updates from the IGF Secretariat.  That will be followed by updates from the main session organising groups, and then we will have an update on the BPF of BPFs which is in response to the deadline for MAG input last week, and then update on the introductory and concluding sessions.
 I'm hoping, Paul, if you are willing, you can report for us on that, and then number 7 is continuing the discussion of the IGF output process.  And MAG members asked for more information and nor a narrative last week when we Freuded, so we can just review that.
 And then the final Agenda Item and I have been asked by some MAG  members to give a little bit more detail about the MAG Chair and Working Group strategy convened discussions that are taking place preIGF in fact starting tomorrow with the first one.  And then we have any other  business.
 Does anybody have any additions that they want to add or any questions on the agenda.  I see no hands.  Let's just note I have from my records, I have, I saw apologies from Jutta and Danko, Carlos, Alphonso and Sylvia, is that right?  That seems to be the full list.  Thanks, Anja, for adding that and if we can add that to the records.
 I'm not going to wait any further time with the welcome and just to thank you all for your work, and the Secretariat, and my sense is and maybe this can be my welcome input, that people are working a lot.  And I think it's important that we also make our work visible.
 I know, for example, the Secretariat has been incredibly busy in the background working on the website, on the schedule, working on promotional material, working on the high level sessions.  And similarly MAG members are busy working on the main sessions and we will share on that today.  I want to urge people to be more forth coming about sharing what you are  doing and sharing questions and discussion around the IGF.
 We don't have a lot of time left, and I think now is an important time for us to raise questions, to reflect on one another's preparation, and to try and make visible our work.  I do think we also need to start setting some deadliness so that we can begin the work of the IGF.  And you will hear more about that over the next Agenda Item because the team has been working on the website interface, the schedule and various other things.  So on that note, let me give the floor to Anja who will lead us through checking on action items.  If you can bring it up, Anja, then I will take us through that.  It would be helpful if you could display it.
 >> Thank you Anriette.  Will Luis display?  In any case I can share, I have it on my screen.  Okay.  Let me do that then.
 >> CHAIR:  For the MAG members, we are adding this section now at the top of the minutes.  I'm not sure if you are able to check the minutes, but it helpful for MAG members who couldn't be in a call to get one glance sense of what we need to do.  Thanks, Anja.
 So the first item there was Secretariat to provide a narrative description to accompany the flow charts describing the inputs and outputs of IGF 2020 and provide a more detailed timeline of what happens when in the processes related to public comment periods for the high level synthesis documents created by the Secretariat.
 So I can provide part of that the update.  Carlos alon so I asked for a description, I designed something that explains the logic, the rationale of that.  Maybe we can just add the link to that in the chat, and just so that people know there is no rationale.  I don't think, Sam, correct me if I'm wrong, we haven't done a detailed timeline yet, but we have done the gnar sive rationale.  Anja or Rohan Samarajiva do you want to add anything to the first open action item.
 >> It's Sam here, you are correct, I haven't added the details to the timeline yet.  That's still outstanding.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks Sam.  And, Sam, can you just add the link?  It was in my task list message to the MAG, if we could just add the link to the narrative that you and I worked on so that members, MAG members have that in the chat.  The next item was MAG members to provide feedback on the BPF of BPF's draft report.  And that's in the agenda so we will hear from Markus andwin on that.  The next was MAG members to capture the process for organising introductory and concluding sessions, et cetera.  This is the introductory conclusion and discussion which actually had to some extent been closed and then I reopened it, which I apologize for, but I'm glad that I did.
 There were some MAG members who did feel they wanted to add a little bit more to the discussion.  We had a very good call yesterday.  So thanks very much to everyone who attended and we have made a decision.  I'm hoping that Paul Rowney can present that for us today, and if he cannot, then myself and the Secretariat.  So we have dealt with that.
 So I think that's it.  Next item if there are no questions, and I'm just checking for hands in the speaking queue.  I see none.  So we can now move onto item 3, updates from th Secretariat, Anja over to you.
 >> SECRETARIAT:  Compared to the updates that the Secretariat shared on the latest MAG meeting hosts that there weren't any major updates, just to know that we are continuing to work on advancing the schedule, and I'm  going to give a heads up to Luis to prepare if there are updates to share compared to what we shared on the previous MAG meeting.  As you know, Luis and the MAG Chair have shared the schedule through the MAG list and invited for your feedback.  As far as I know we haven't received feedback from the MAG members but in any case has most welcome.  A kind member that the registration is ongoing.  We kindly ask you to register yourself and share the participation notice with your network.
 I'm also going to upDavid that last evening at 6:00 p.m. UPC we posted second webinar for youth to go through the results of the public online consultations with young people that resulted in several topics that they marked as priority.  So we had over 70 stakeholders present at that call, very interactive and good dialogue developed.
 So the third and last webinar on preparing the youth focused activities for the IGF 2020 will happen on 14th of October at noon UPC.  It would be excellent if some of the MAG members would join as well that webinar.  In any case, we will be going into final phase of planning the youth Summit at the IGF 2020 as well as a couple of the engagements with youth on that we will update.
 A quick note as well that we are receiving quite a number of requests for the remote hubs.  So we have extended the soft deadline until the end of this month, and we will soon be publishing all of those that applied on the IGF website.  So that would be all for the update, but if Luis would like to add something on the schedule, please do.  Thank you.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks, Luis, please, do you want to add anything.  Forth coming plans as well.
 >> LUIS BOBO:  Thank you.  No, I didn't expect, but it doesn't take maybe too much time, and we can show the state of things.  I mean, you said basically I'm working this part of the front side and also a lot in the back end side of the IGF.  I mean, how all of the meetings are going to be prepared and streamed, recorded, processed, transcribed, et cetera.  Maybe that's not need to be shown in this meeting and I can just show this which basically has some suggestions already internal, so the consultants and it's open for the MAG members to see, and Andrea has given some suggestions.  Some are integrated, but basically when we access the IGF landing page of IGF 2020 it will have not registered.  It will ask to register as you saw last week, and then it's one click registration.
 You go to this space, and basically functionally everything goes quite fine, I mean, it's quite user friendly.  The point is if anyone has more suggestions, this kind of things is good, the only point is we will have to keep accessibility at the front.  So this has been tested, this structure has been tested by the DCA group.  It is frequently done with accessibility approach and we will have to keep that and keep it as simple as possible, also for small devices and things like that.
 Basically, if you access this space, this is new.  I have here a simple view which is very good, so oud can access the app.  Basically as you saw last week, there is an access here to the village.  Nothing new here.  We will have this in the icons, and maybe we can change this in the future if people have time because now the time is, under is not much time left.
 But basically every proposal has already the possibility to update their pages and they are already updating it, and, for example, they are adding appointments from people and embedding videos, things like that.  You can go back to the videos and go to any other like this one.  But it's more or less the same structure.  You see you can go back to the schedule.
 Basically the schedule, it has an access to the personal schedule here, and basically my user, I don't have -- I have not subscribed to a session yet.  Basically these are the two basic pages when we schedule, which is basically the main schedule, which is here with all of the sessions.  I can't fit them all in the things.  We can go to one day, for example, this day, and we see all of the sessions also colored by theme.
 The colors are, I mean, the colors are -- I like seeing and they are accessible in a way that, of course, they have also text behind, and the point is that they are light and they are like user friendly.  For example, we are using environmental and this kind of thing.  That does not prevent the use.  But basically this is the thing and, of course, I can see the sessions in room 2 about, you know, only like this.  So this is networking.  I have already the networking breaks.
 Basically, here, for example, we can just see -- let me go to the first week, we can suggest Open Forums and only Open Forums related to data.  So this is possible.  You see all of these things here you may be interested.  All of these things, this text has been updated live by the proposers, so everything is dynamic.  And there is also a link here to access some guidelines and guidelines as we have in other meetings to is basically helping clients and you have to go to the schedule for the sessions and you access personal schedule.  I have tried to keep it simple, you see.  And then if, for example, you have seen this last time if I go to the session, they are already these people here and I just with one click I also add myself here, so I am here as well.  And then if I go to the personal schedule, everything is navigatable, so I have here the first session I will have here all of the sessions in which I am listed, my own schedule.
 What else?  Oh, yes, the simple view.  There are other, just to see all of the sessions here together and here is where we can put maybe more information -- we have put, for example, the topics here.  This is  compact.  I mean, this is quite compact already by time and, of course, everything is, you can see maybe speakers, things like that.  When they are putting an abstract of the session has been put here.  So I can search in this space easily, and I can also filter.
 The last thing I wanted to show you, this is taking more time but the last thing I wanted to show this is the simple view.  So basically if you open this, everything is like here in a bar, like a menu bar, and then it's sticky there and you z you can go to the guide abs, to the village to your schedule or any other thing that we can decide.
 And, I'm sorry, this is not what I want.  And basically, that's all.  So the only last thing is that you can, everything is presented in, for example, central European time, so now it's summertime but in November it will be central European time, but you can change your local and all of the time sessions will appear in your time.  I have also put the logo, et cetera, et cetera.
 I think that's all, and, of course, we will put here the star speakers or the main speakers here, like a more visual thing.  So basically what we now want to change functionally, it works this smooth.  This suggests everything that you think would be interesting.  This space maybe put some background, keynote speakers in boxes or something like that and accessing their bio.
 So this is like the way of, the way forward.  I think that was useful.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks very much, Luis.  Any comments or questions?
 I see a hand from Timea, please go ahead.
 >> TIMEA SUTO:  I'm sorry, I'm always having trouble finding the speaking queue.  I just wanted to say a huge, huge thank you to Luis and the Secretariat team.  This is really great.  I can't imagine how much work it took you guys to do this, but it's coming together nicely.
 I had two questions that are not clear for me.  If you could just respond Luis.  On one hand is the personal schedule, we are doing away with the schedule system, right?  Just for me to understand.  And when we go to our personal schedules, is that presented in a timely order or can we see it in a calendar view or how is that being organized?  For me, it looked like a list when you showed it, but I'm not sure if that really is the question when you add more sessions to it.  Is there some sort of organizational system there?
 Then the other thing for me was, I mean, this looks great, but the color coding for me, it looked a little bit faint.  As you were just walking through the screen, maybe because it was in a smaller window for me, but I couldn't really differentiate that much or it was hard for me to notice, for example, the difference between data and environment, the blue and green appeared to be the same.  Maybe it's just my resolution.  So if you can do something for those to be more prominent or more visible.  I don't want this to look as a parrot, but in a way that we can actually look at it that is more user friendly or just more visible with the  colors, that would be good, just two points, but very might beer ones albeit.
 >> LUIS BOBO:  I'm happy to answer.  I will start for the second one, I think this is the most -- we had some kind of background colors theme before and due to suggestions from the accessibility group, they said that this structure of just put in a small band is much better for people with visual disabilities indeed.
 But, I mean, this is something that we can apply, for example, to use, I know in development things like that to show the thematic trends.
 The idea is for like the calendar in the same way we use in the skeed, it's not to have that in take calendar, just a list.  However, this list can be presented from the current date, for example, when you access your personal schedule, you directly access the player for all of the sessions.  The idea is to access the links that agree to your meetings.
 That's the main idea.  We are going to again create and repeat the structure of the schedule, I mean, make it more heavy and in principle the idea is they do have the view of the calendar, also because when you open a session, you can, I mean, this is optional, but every session here has a calendar button.  So here this gives a reminder and this is also  interesting to show you, but basically if you open this calendar, it puts in your, it sits in your own calendar in your time zone and it has one line of instructions only saying how, when you have the reminder of the session, how you can open that session.
 Basically you go to your personal schedule here, it gives a link that you access, and basically the idea is that you find this because when you are in there, for example, in the 10th of November, it will find here a session.  So you just click here and you will access it.  So this is like also like in schedule because if you view the schedule here, you all the time have the calendar view.  And then you can find the day of today and find what is happening here.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks, Luis, that button where you can link to your calendar is very useful.  I think it would be nice to make it more prominent, a little bit easier to see, maybe put it higher up in the document.  But thanks for that, Luis, we have next Lebosha.
 >> I want to congratulate L Luis and the whole Secretariat for a job well done.  I would like if Luis can remind us how to reach this  interactive schedule because I keep having a problem to find it, I can find this schedule which is, lets say, draft schedule, not interactive  one.
 I remember that I found it and that I tried and I already succeeded in putting some sessions into my personal schedule, but simply it's, the link for this interactive schedule for me is, pardon my ignorance, completely unknown.  So if Luis can remind us where is it and somehow make it, the link, make it more visible and if nothing else, or especially to be included on this page that we have transferred after opening IGF, the link on IGF 2020 draft schedule.  Thank you.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks, Nebojsa.  Luis just added link.  Luis maybe you should explain that it's only visible to people that are registered so for security purposes so please explain that to the MAG.
 >> LUIS BOBO:  Exactly.  Thank you.  I perfectly understand you, I cannot find it and I know it exists.  At this state we have not made it so much prominent because there were still some draft changes in the  schedule.  I think that that's done and we can make it more prominent.
 What we wanted to show more at this stage was the reg operation and then you are directed to this page, but it's in more parts.  We are still improving this, and people can start just putting this in their schedules.  We have not announced, but nothing prevents us.  Because here, it's like we planned ((?)
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks for that, Luis.
 >> I haven't heard Luis, the connection was, I was losing his voice.  Is this link made already public or not, because I know that now when you sent the link, I found my personal schedule, but I didn't understand quite well what is the current status of this interactive schedule.
 >> LUIS BOBO:  In short, this is public, but it is not announced.  For example, you get, you download the calendar and there is the schedule, access to the schedule and final decisions for IGF 2020.  We have not asked people to please go to the interactive schedule and start.  Simply that.  It's public but it's not announced yet.
 >> CHAIR:  So, Nebojsa, is that clear?  It's public, accessible, if you have registered but we have not promoted it because we are still working on it and the static schedule is available publicly.  I would imagine we are going to make this public fairly soon, Luis, do you have a date that you want to make this public?
 >> LUIS BOBO:  We can discuss here in the Secretariat, and nothing really prevents us to, I mean, if we change things, it is just to improve the things.  It can be done.
 >> CHAIR:  And we are working on the look and feel and the navigation and there are also some features that need to be added, such as the networking sessions and so on.
 >> NEBOJSA REGOJE:  I understand.  Thank you very much, Luis, thank  you.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks Neb, thanks is Luis, was there anything else from the secretariat or is that it.
 >> SECRETARIAT:  That was it.
 >> CHAIR:  Do you want to announce the training sessions that you posted about in the chat.
 >> SECRETARIAT:  Exactly yes, thank you.  Thank you for the questions that you have asked us.
 So the training that Luis is organising for all of the session organizers, moderators and Rapporteurs, well, and let me just quickly,  yes, will be on 12th of October at 8:00 a.m. UTC or alternatively, if you cannot join that spot, then you can join on 14th of October at 14:00 p.m. UPC.  I have also posted the guide for session organizers for the MAG loys and I will post once again.  That document contains more information about this training as well, and we will communicate the link posted with the date.  Thank you, Anriette.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks Anja.  So I don't see hands.  Thanks very much, Luis, for your work on this, and I know it's not the end of it, but it's really quite good.
 Now, we are going to move onto updates from the main session.  And can we start with data?  If you want to display, you can do that yourself and share your screen or if you would like Luis to bring up the data session description for us, we can do that.  But data, can I hand over to you.
 >> Hello, everyone.  Natasa speaking.  I can say a few words about data main session preparation.  I would kindly ask Luis if he could share our template even though we haven't done much progress from the last time unfortunately.  We hope that Maria Paz Canales Loebel could join us in this preparation stage and speakers consider lobe lobe I don't have the template.  If you can just put the link in the chat, I can.  Thank you.
 >> In short we are still shaping the main session and possible  speakers.  So we will need more time for that.  I'm not quite sure whether we have time that we can prolong that deadline.  So in case there it is possibility to get a little bit more time, we could try our best to complete this task at our main session on data.  If not, I'm not quite sure whether we will be ready to meet the deadliness of I think tomorrow for the confirmation from the speakers.  We cannot make that deadline.
 If someone from colleagues, from our data group would like to add something, please do.
 >> JUNE PARRIS:  Hello, good morning, this is June Parris.  I tend to go along with what you are saying, but I think we can ask the Secretariat for help and see if he can make some more suggestions about speakers, because there are speakers that want to speaks, it's just to get them to fit into what we are doing.  So we will, perhaps we should have a meeting soon and talk about it.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks for that Natasa and June.  I had a look at your section description as well, and I must say the one thing that struck me when I looked at it is we have several other sessions on COVID-19.  I just wanted maybe Anja, if you can just reflect on how this compares with the high level sessions on COVID-19 and the other, the DCNRI sessions, and then I think in terms of time, obviously you need a bit more time, so I think that's fine, but I really think the end of September has to be our cut off point.
 And even if you still have to make this changes to speakers, I think what we really need by the end of September, the latest, is for the descriptions of all of the sessions to be finalized so that they can go into the interactive schedule.  I just wanted to, yes, Anja, did you have a chance to look at that and how this compares?  My sense is it will be complementary, but if there is overlap, it would be good to identify that.
 >> SECRETARIAT:  Just a few minutes before this meeting I went again through the contents, but I see there are changes from what I read maybe two weeks ago.  In any case, the high level track probably naturally will focus on the COVID-19, but as you know, the age of uncertainty is the  overall theme.  So the presumption is that it should go beyond COVID-19, but probably given the relevance of the momentum, it's going to come down to this.  For now, I can't speak about the high level sessions yet because we are planning it with the speakers still internally, but I would be happy, especially as June said at the beginning, that perhaps we can have with us, perhaps we could have a call specifically on these sessions and we can also support you in terms of reaching out to some of the speakers as some already asked us for that.
 I'm sorry Anriette, I can't be more concrete on this but for the N ri I session I can say I don't see another way because the NRI session will go in a completely different direction than this session.
 >> CHAIR:  That was my sense as well, Anja.  I think the only possible overlap could be between the high level session on data, and the session.  But I think let's have a call and let's schedule that call and I also urge everyone to have a look at the description and assist Natasa and June and the others with possible speakers.  I think you are actually really close to being finished.
 Maria Maria Paz Canales Loebel is on holiday as far aas I know, but I think she is back next week, so you can rope her in.  Thanks a lot, I think it's not that far from being complete, so don't be discouraged, but we do need to get the descriptive text firmed up and the speakers firmed up.
 Okay.  So next, environment, are you ready?  I'm just checking -- I don't see any hands.  Timea, go ahead.
 >> TIMEA SUTO:  I'm sorry, I put my hand up for the environment  session.  So if there is anything else on data, please go ahead.
 >> CHAIR:  You can start with environment.
 >> TIMEA SUTO:  Thank you.  So this is just a quick update from where we were two weeks ago, I think, when we last talked about this.  In the meantime, we have scheduled the call for the Working Group to finalize the list of speakers we want to reach out to, and the call is set for  Thursday, so the 24th, just looking at the time, so it's at 2:00 p.m. Geneva time, which is noon UTC.
 Most of ughs who are part of the organising group can make it, but anybody else, of course, even if you are not on the group but are interested in the session, don't hesitate to come to the session.  I will post also the link here so everybody can look at the document that we are working on.  We have three main things we want to finalize during the meeting on Thursday and then we can report back the group and provide the final description and start reaching out to the speakers.
 The first thing is we have titles for the sessions so we need to decide on one.  I think it is going to be fairly easy.  We have to decide on how we want to structure the agenda so we give time for both participation from the speakers and the audience, and we can explore all of the policy dimensions we have proposed for the session.  And the third thing is we need to confirm our speakers.  Will so for the speakers so far we have sort of two groups.  We have a group of speakers who have been informally approached or they have approached us and we know that they are very much interested in participating in this session.
 And then there is a group of speakers who we thought of that would be good for the session, and I would add a third group that we haven't thought of and haven't reached out informally either, which is sort of  gaps in the speaker roster and there I'm referring to Government, and we have quite a bit of intercomming from governmental organisations, civil society, technical community and business, but we have not many  suggestions for Government speakers.
 So this is just an open call for everybody who might want to contribute some ideas on that front.  I very much appreciate that especially, I  think, I noted at some point in the document as well if you could have a representative of the small island states, for example, I think that would fit very nicely in that session.  And this is it for us, so call at noon  UPC on Thursday for everybody who is interested.  Thank you.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks a lot, Timea.  Does anybody want to add or are there any other questions for the environment group?
 Nothing.
 >> Hello, I just want to add, thanks Timea, we have made great progress and I'm happy that we are coming to finalize this document.  Thank you so much for your work.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks, June.
 >> TIMEA SUTO:  Thank you all who worked on it, I just pushed the edit button but it's all you.
 >> CHAIR:  Everyone note the invite to the call Thursday.
 Next we have inclusion, Roberto and Kareem, it's over to you.
 >> ROBERTO ZAMBRANA:  Thank you very much, Madame Chair.
 I don't know if Luis could help me with sharing my screen.  Thank you.
 Thank you very much, again.  Well, we had a meeting last week, it was a productive meeting because I think we finally are in the last stage of our proposal.  The main changes we suggested and agreed were regarding, one, the policy questions.  We had six policy questions before and we managed to narrow them into three.  So now we have three policy questions about what were the problems that we are preventing to get affordable and  meaningful Internet during the last years.  The second one will be about what should be the coordinated actions in the Government and regulators type in order to promote this kind of connectivity and the final question will be about the business models and what other things could be done considering the other stakeholders are.  We managed to do that, so it would be important to arrange the session given for each round of speakers the chance to answer not to all of the question but to the particular ones we are going to define in terms of what would be the best speaker to answer one of these three questions.
 And we had two approaches about participants, active participation, and the idea, well, one of the ideas would be to have them, because I was arranging this to have them as we already prepared before to have the participants to speak at the end of the of the different interactions with the speakers, or the other proposal that I think could be really tricky regarding the managing time, the other alternative anyway will be to have a round of interventions after each of the rounds.
 So we are going to have three rounds per the different three questions, and after the round, it will be the public participation.  But, again, perhaps it could be three.  So that's the last thing we have to manage how it's going to be the shape of the session at the end.  And the other, the final thing is about the speakers.  I ask, I kindly ask the Secretariat Anja and Chengetai reaching the five speakers that we already confirmed, but this time we wanted from them to reach officially to invite them, because we finally agree about this initially five speakers that we already contacted, but we also, I mean, some of the members and we all agree that it would be good to have some other people coming from different other stakeholders, particularly private regarding some, some other people related to like dynamic spectrum in one case or some people from the operators, Other or Telefonica and it was a suggestion Orange).  We want to increase the Government side and we do have one suggestion of one telecommunication regulator who is Professor, and we have that option too.
 So I think this is the last stage, again, hopefully we will be finishing the speakers by the next week.  I think since we managed to narrow the questions not thematically but to have three main questions and considering that not all of the speakers are going to answer each of them, so we could manage to have perhaps some additional speakers besides the five that are already confirmed.
 And, yes, with that, in that way, I think we are going to have a good very active session.  That could be from my side, I'm not sure if anybody of the group would mention or add something, perhaps Karim also.  Thank you very much.
 >> Karim Mohamed:  I don't have anything else to add.  I think Roberto well summarized our on going schedule.  Thank you.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks Roberto and Karim, and I think your session is  looking really interesting.  I added one suggestion.  I don't know if you can accommodate it, but I just thought that because you use this in your introduction, you make the connection to the digital cooperation work on access, so I thought maybe someone from the ITU, but your session is  looking really good, and I particularly like the brief policy questions, the clear policy questions and I think that's actually, it would be good if everyone can do that, if you can have, even if you have a longer description of your session, of your main session, but if you can have like an abstract or a short description at the top that is easy to read and accessible and that can go into the schedule, because as Sam dicken son keeps reminding me you have to market your sessions and I think it's important that those descriptions play that role.
 And then I think if everyone can also use this model of having no more than three policy questions, I think that's really good.  So thanks for that.  Does anybody have any questions for inclusion?
 I don't see questions or comments.  So in that case, let's move onto trust.
 >> Thanks Anriette.  Just giving a small update on behalf of the trust main session Working Group.  Luis, maybe if I go share the screen or actually maybe I can drop this in the chat as well.
 So a quick update on the current situation with the Trust main session, we haven't quite changed the title yet even though there is, there has been some discussion previously about this title being a little provocative.  We still think it's a good thing to have an interesting title but there is the possibility of changing the title as wel.
 The description hasn't changed from before as well.  The main update we really do have is the status of the invites to the speakers.  Currently, let me just scroll down to where the speakers are.  Currently we actually have sent out six invitations to speakers and we have five confirmations.  We still need a confirmation from the invite sent to the IETF Chair as speaker, and I do see that there is additional suggestion for a speaker here that has to be invited.
 Maybe we can probably ask Mary to reach out, except currently we did want to keep the speaker roster to a gender balance and regional balance and also keeping it, so currently we don't have a confirmation yet from  Allison, so that could possibly mean we could get the invite over to the suggested speaker here from the Africa Union.
 We also had a brief discussion amongst the co-facilitators that there is a possibility of also including discussants for this session.  Actually taking a good note from the roadmap main session.  During that call last week, there was discussion to add some discussants to the session, so we thought actually that might be a good idea if we wanted to increase the diversity of people contributing at this high level at the main session.
 So there is a possibility with that.  And -- scrolling back up to where we have the policy questions, so currently we still have a cluster of three.  We are planning to schedule a call for the proposed moderators of the session, Paul Fellinger and Patro Shapel with the entire group sometime next week.  So we are hoping to have a full group call to sort of Iran out details and refine the clusters we have.  Our Chair, ARIA, did suggest that we keep everything to three.  (Anriette).  And I think this update is about it.
 I did note that our, but if there is anything anyone else wants to add.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks Jennifer.  I looked at yours and I like the title.  I think it's nice to be provocative.  This is a particularly contentious issue.  People are having vigorous debate about it in the real world so why not reflect that in the session title.  One thing that was a bit  worrying for me was your Global South balance wasn't great unless I'm wrong.
 It seemed to me between moderators and speakers, you really only had Alison Gillwald who was from the Global South and possibly Abdul-Hakeem if you can get him.
 You reminded me of something I wanted to raise which is possibly controversial, but speaking from my experience of web nears in Zoom, it was webinars which is what the main session will be, they are not very interactive.  And in fact, in some ways having, unlike a face-to-face main session where you don't want to have too many speakers on the stage, but you really want to maximize audience participation, with the webinar format, audience participation is kind of limited to the Q and A.
 And in fact, it can work well, I think, to have a few more speakers.  So or having discussants available that can respond.  I think that's a good idea and it may be something that other main sessions might want to think about as well.
 Any other comments or questions or any additions from the trust group?  Nothing.
 >>
 >> JENNIFER CHUNG:  Nothing more from me, thank you Anriette.
 >> CHAIR:  Thank you very much, I put a few motes there.  We do need to move up a little bit.  So I think Hanna, are you next for digital cooperation.  While Hanna gets ready, I think what would be good for us to do at our next call at which time you would be ready with your sessions is to tell one another just the story of the session, actually then you will, your preparation will be more advanced, and I think it will be good to just tell other MAG members the narrative, what the session is about, what you hope to get out of it, you know, just so that we begin to get our  heads more inside the content of the sessions rather just the logistics of the preparations.
 Hanna, go ahead.
 >> HANA ALHASHIMI:  Thanks very much, Anriette.  Thanks very much, good morning, good afternoon, good evening, everyone.  Special thanks to the group that shared their views on this main session.  As, and thanks also to Jennifer for highlighting the discussant idea.  This was something that we did suggest so to this could be something that moved forward from discussions that have already taken place over the last year and over one year actually, and to help to move the discussion forward but also not to have kind of an unprepared audience, but rather to provide a lot of the documentation that's been put together including the work of the Working Group on, that's responding to the options paper available up front so that people are ready to kind of respond and hopefully move the conversation forward rather than this being a Chair consultation.
 With that in mind, we decided as a group to go for a title of global digital cooperation rather than focusing solely on the roadmap.  We also, you know, the other details, we have kept the themes as broad because really the session does, is cross cutting and goes across the other ones and we don't want to limit it in that way.  The description is the same, but if we are able to scroll down, I don't currently have power over the, this screen that you are seeing.  Thank you so much.  If you are able to scroll to the next page.  Thank you so much.
 We spent quite a bit of time looking at the policy questions and trying to reduce them, but the agreement of the group was that these are already kind of grouping a number of different elements that are brought up in both the options paper and in the Working Group responding to that.  So we wanted to allow for a broad enough conversation, but the way in which we would structure this and special thanks to Ben for the suggestion, is to perhaps limit it to two questions for each speaker.
 So if we have about six speakers, then they would have, they would have different questions assigned to them.  So some of them would handle issues of inclusion, some would handle cooperation questions.  Others would handle outcomes.  Others would be at high level engagement and finally communications and financing.  We did spend quite a bit of time seeing how to limit them and special shout-out to Javier for the live edits which is exciting but brought us to a series of questions that are long, but that will be limited per speaker.
 So we move to the next section, please.  Thanks very much.  The way that it's split in terms of the agenda then is we start off with a brief introduction to the process of where we are at and what the significance is, which would be done by Undersecretary General February bringsio who has started under the start and confirmed we move onto the high level level where where we have different stakeholder groups and five or six speakers to cover the policy questions before moving to a moderated dialogue with the audience.
 As MAG Chairs, Rudolf and I will be co-moderators for this dialogue, but as discussed, this would be where we would put discussants in order to ensure both diversity in speakers, but also that speakers are prepared in advance to kick off the discussion before opening to the floor.
 Moving down then we will focus on speakers, I have already covered the chat moderator.  In terms of speakers, we have for now put it explicitly now in groups of male and female.  Of course, when we stend this out, we would remove male and female.  This is for our record in order to make sure that we do have some kind of balance, so it's not that we have to, it's not an after thought, but it's there in the design from the  beginning.
 And so in that sense, we have invited a seerdz of people, but there is still perhaps one or two that are still to be invited.  The main was some discussion on how to target or invite a representative of the private sector actually, who is female, but who might also be able to give some views specifically on the idea of potentially having pledges or for this main session to be a place where announcements can be made.  So we were looking at the example of the generous donation of the United Kingdom from the IDA website, and we thought that speakers may consider making some kind of announcement not as a requirement to speak but rather as having that kind of opportunity.
 So this requires a little bit more conversation.  We do have some ideas already there, and thank you to all of those people.  The other one was regarding civil society and thank you to Jennifer for reaching out already and we understand she is speaking at another main session so as a result we will need to regroup or also share the views of the broader MAG on whether it makes sense to have multiple APC speakers in multiple main sessions or if we should diversify and go broader.
 So that remains out there.  We have already put down a number of discussants as ideas.  We can at this point potentially leave it at that or expand it further.  So, for example, maybe some of the alternative speakers could be discussants instead.  Moving down, and we thank our colleagues who have already volunteered to be Rapporteurs, and in terms of the outputs, we really hope to be able to move the conversation forward.
 The Secretary-General's office have asked for their to be a push towards implementation and although that can't necessarily be agreed in the main session, we do hope to at least be able to work forward on this.
 We have left space, again, as mentioned in the beginning for documents and sources that would inform the conversation building on the immense work and richness of the conversation that has been had so far.  So that we can move forward.  I will stop there, but perhaps I could ask if Titi or my co-facilitators would like to add anything at this moment.
 >> CHAIR:  Titi or adome Ma, do you bant to add final.
 >> No, I have nothing to add.  It was a complete distinction from  Hanna.  Thanks a lot.
 >> HANA ALHASHIMI:  I could say thank you as well to everyone and I'm here for any comments or questions.
 >> CHAIR:  I think Adoma is not on the call with us.  Anyway, thanks very much for your progress and for your description and it looks like it's already going very well.  Does anyone else have questions or comments for the digital cooperation.  I don't see any and I think the little glitches about civil society, I'm sure you can sort that easily.
 So, everyone, we are one hour into our meeting.  Thanks a lot for the reports so far, but if we can just quickly get an update from Anja on the NRI main session because we haven't really had an update on that for a long time, and Jutta is not on the call, so we can wait for an up date on the DC session on the next call, but Anja, if you can give us a quick update on the NRI.
 >> SECRETARIAT:  Yes, thank you very much, Anriette.
 So the NRI session is pretty much ready in terms of the policy guiding questions that colleagues will be addressing that have been done in basically summer this year, what is now happening is the NRIs are delegating speakers.  That can be time consuming process because they have to clear with organising Committees, but on 29th of September we are having a meeting and we are hoping that all of the speakers will be by that time confirm the.
 You can see the list of pretty exhaustive policy questions and by the end of this month the list of policy questions will naturally shorten  itself once we receive all of the inputs from the NRI colleagues.  So far these are the inputs that we are receiving.  They are very substantive.  They are pertaining to the countries where the NRIs are coming.
 The way I see it now by the nature of inputs, the session will be, yes, focusing to a good extent on COVID-19 but also what to do in emergency situations and recovery.  So by the end of this month, early October, we will be able to communicate full proposal to the MAG and also for the session proposal on the website.  And just last note that that on that meeting that we are having on the 29th of September, we will  form  formalize how to do the session in an interactive ways and also decide on co-moderators for this.
 Thank you, Anriette.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks very much for that Anja.  And any questions on main sessions before we move onto the next Agenda Item?  I don't see any hands.  I'm just double checking.  So I can't see the agenda right now, Luis, can you bring it back, but as far as I remember, I'm going to go back to IGF.  So this agenda is to follow up on the presentation that Sam Dickinson gave us previous call and to provide us a little bit more information on the discussion.
 I'll post the link of the document, and Luis, maybe you can bring that up for us, and if you can just go to section 8.  I'm putting the link in the chat.  And if you can just scroll to section 8 of that document.  Then we will just recap on what Sam presented last week.  Not last week, two weeks ago.
 Thanks Luis.  That's the right document.  If you can just -- no you don't have it up yet.  This documentably the withdraw is a longer  document, it's the document I have promised I will share.  It's a living document that we hope to use as a template for next year.  It contains the overall areas of work and division of labor.  So section 8, really that's just outcomes from 2019.  We want to reflect that because it was a  successful approach and we want to build on it.
 So the plans for this year and Sam just let me know that she has got bad audio.  So I will run through this and, Sam if you can add.  So the approach this year is to try and link a more focused agenda to more focused Articles.  And we are going to do that, Luis, you can scroll down.  That's just Tunis Agenda background.  That's important -- 8.2.1, I think you know that there will be the premeeting guide to IGF.  You can pause, a little bit up, please, just a little bit up.  Perfect.
 A guide to IGF 2020 themes that is being -- issues and themes being compiled by the Secretariat.  It will bring together the key issues and policy questions contained in workshop proposals and in main session, and the ones that we develop at the MAG.  If you could just move down to the guide.  We will have two functions.  So the main functions of this guide is to help participants identify which sessions they wish to participate in and follow, and by enabling a deeper understanding of the topics under discussion.
 So in this sense it's trying to produce more focus, more directed discussion, but while also reflecting the diversity of issues that we raise.  And secondly, the purpose of this guide is to support the high level synthesis of issues documented which can then help organizers find synergies between their session goals and the overarching policy  questions, and they can then incorporate some of these in their discussion and reflect on it.
 I'm not going to read it, but the idea is to link those preIGF session proposals, identify questions and issues to how we reflect the messages and outcomes.  That's all.  So I hope that that helps to provide the kind of narrative that Carlos asked for, and just scroll down a little bit, Luis.  What you see there is just a draft of what the table of contents of let's say the trust, the theme section.  So give us general information about the theme which will tell us which SDGs it links to.  So this makes it easier for the UN system to pick up on it.
 It will also, if there is time, we don't know if we will have time to do this, but it will also link to policy questions, and then if there is time, there will also be -- I'm sorry, no, there will be issues with key policy questions and a link to previous discussions.  So it's really just trying to create a more focused entry point to the content of the discussion in a way that helps us.
 So I won't go over that, but I urge you to read that and comment in that document, because we are hoping this will become a template that can be updated.  But Sam or Anja, do you want to add anything?
 >> SECRETARIAT:  Nothing from me, Anriette, thank you.
 >> CHAIR:  And I know it's Agenda Item 7, so when I couldn't see the agenda, I forgot the sequence.  Sam, do you want to add.
 >> I'm sorry if my audio goes now, I'm having problems it not working well the last couple of days.  Part of this is, this premeeting guide will be a large document, but we are hoping that it can be modular so you can pull bits out and use them as individual plain documents as well as a single document.  So the idea is it can be used in multiple ways.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks, Sam.  Any comments or questions?  And really positive feedback is also welcome.  Gun Ella is asking when is the deadline for the planning document?  Gunela, I would say it's a rolling document.  I don't want to give you dead lines now because you are all working on your main sessions.
 So I think once that's all under control and you are not all so busy, then I will start thinking of a deadline, but definitely it's not a public document.  We are not sharing it at the IGF, so I would like to make the deadline prior to the IGF, but at this point in time, I don't want to put pressure on you to comment yet, but I do want MAG members, particularly because so many of the MAG members are rotating out this year to comment on that document.  So you can actually also add a bit of your legacy into that document, and add links to all of the, because one of the challenges I found with the MAG is that MAG members produce a wealth of useful material, but it's all scattered in different places.
 So if we can use this document to bring in links or copy and paste sections of material that the MAG has developed, I think it would make it easier.  So let's move on to BPF of BPFs and to get an update.  Markus, you have the floor.
 >> Hello, everyone, Markus here and Wyn will put up the document he is preparing.  It is essentially a document in three parts.  One is sort of the update of the write up of the history of the BPFs, documenting all of the BPFs in the past.  The second part is food for thought, ideas that the MAG may wish to discuss for going forward for improving the BPFs (MARKUS is KUMMER).  The third part is BPF modalities, this is what you just said, Anriette, picking up on what has been floating around but never been really sort of proved.
 We hope that the modalities document will then be kind of terms of reference that can be used in the future.  It's nothing controversial there.  It's more or less writing up what has been used in a coherent way.  Obviously you may wish to tweak it here and there, but the idea is really just to provide guidance for future BPF coordinators and also MAG members on how to go about.
 So for the MAG maybe the key part will be the second part sections C and D which has ideas for improvement which may need a deeper discussion.  I think one important part we identified is the BPF cycle that we lose a lot of time between finishing the section and starting the new section and one idea we have been floating is maybe a fourth position of a two-year mandate for a BPF that will eliminate some of this period.
 But that's, as I said, it's a further discussion.  The annexes are also very factual, so they are part, they can be seen as part of the introduction as a factual introduction.  Now, we have received some feedback, and and admission of how to finalize the document.  Maybe, Wyn, you would like to add a few words on your point of view.  Thanks.
 >> Thank you, Markus.  Not much to add from my side to give an  overview, and hopefully the MAG can pick up the suggestions and also the  BPF modalities document, because I remember that came as a suggestion from one of the former coordinators that, a document like that would have been very, very helpful if he started to be a co-facilitator.  Apart from that, also referring to some of the ideas, Carlos shared on the mailing list, on the MAG mailing, list which I think it's important to understand and see the importance of the BPF on BPFs that is focusing on the practical ideas on how to improve the work, and the work of BPFs over the next five years starting next year under the current mandate.
 And some of the other discussions that are going on on how BPFs could evolve or could be used to serve some of the ideas that are in the, are discussed in the Working Group on strengthening the IGF and the other UN documents.  I think it's very important to see the difference in focus of the documents.  Of course, if we achieve with this document that the BPFs enter in the next five years can become more excellent and produce more useful outputs, it would be a great help also for those other discussions, but I just wanted to make this point.
 Apart from that, I'm happy to answer further questions or if you have other ideas with regard to the document, please reach out, and I think that Anriette, you will point at that once we get out there.  Also tomorrow this session on the Chair's initiatives to own BPFs and B C's might be another point at which you wish to share, but that's all for me.
 >> CHAIR:  Thank you very much, Win and Markus and those that supported you, and I really believe you have developed a very useful document.  And I think this is the kind of capturing document reflecting on our work and analyzing it and capturing it that is very useful and important for the IGF.  Does anyone have any comments or questions?
 I don't see any hands.  And, Ben, do you want to, Ben, why don't you make it, why don't you speak your point.
 >> BEN WALLIS:  Hello.  Yes, that was actually a comment on the last round, on the process document.
 >> CHAIR:  I see.
 >> BEN WALLIS:  But also, it does apply to this as well, I just made the comment before we turned to this, but I think this is air great -- I thank you, Anriette for initiating the review and for Markus and Win, and maybe it's a segue into your next Agenda Item.  I wonder to what extent this paper can be presented during tomorrow's webinar session on intersessional work in the MAG Chair create IGF strengthening strategy series.  So let me leave that with you.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks for that, Ben.  And Luis, if you can take us back to the agenda, and let's just find out, does anyone have any questions or comments about this process?  I don't see any hands.  I want to capture, yes, tomorrow we will have a discussion.  It will be a public discussion as part of the MAG Chair and Working Group strategy convened discussions, and the first one takes place tomorrow and it's focused on BPFs and DCs and its a reflection on what has worked, what can work better, and it's also looking at them in the context of the roadmap of digital cooperation and the IGF model.
 I wanted to just, before we close this Agenda Item, I think what we still need, and I need your guidance from the MAG, for MAG members as  well.  We need to look at the recommendations in the BPF of BPF's reports and make a decision on how we want to work with this for next year's MAG.  So I think that's something that I will maybe Win or Markus if you want to comment on that, it seems to me that will be the final step in this process that we have a MAG discussion on this where we make a MAG as a MAG a decision on how to process, process and work with the recommendations in this report.  Did you want to add anything on that, Markus?
 >> Markus cummer:  Nothing except to support your suggestion.  We put it forward and it's up to the MAG if the MAG wants to choose the way forward.
 >> CHAIR:  So let's try and schedule that before the IGF so that we can dedicate a MAG call specifically to that.  And I think what I can work with you and Win, Markus, this is how we prepare this and for decision and input for the MAG, but let's do that.  So thanks very much for that, for a job well done.
 So now we are moving on to the next Agenda Item.  I'm not going to scramble the sequence, which is the update on introductory and concluding sessions.  So I will give the floor now to Paul who will report back on the small group who worked on this and the decisions that they made.   Paul, are you ready?  Paul, you are muted.  Maybe Paul stepped away for a bit, which is fine.  We can move on to the next Agenda Item, which is number 8, and we will come back to number 6 once Paul has joined us.
 So number 8 is, it's been discussed before, but I have been asked by some MAG members to give you a bit more background on that.  So I will start from scratch.  Let me see if I can share my screen.
 >> PAUL ROWNEY:  Paul came back.
 >> CHAIR:  Are you ready to with report?
 >> PAUL ROWNEY:  Yes, yes, sorry.
 >> CHAIR:  Go ahead.
 >> PAUL ROWNEY:  This is my day today.  I'm on my phone and I ran out of data.  So I had to quickly recharge.
 >> CHAIR:  We are back to item 6.
 >> PAUL ROWNEY:  Yes.  So let me quickly find the document.  So just following onto what was discussed and proposed at the last MAG call, we framed this up, and thank you, Ben, who has added considerable content to this document.  In short, we are still following through with the proposal for eye pre-recorded session.  The session would be as short as practically possible just to maintain interest from the audience.
 It's quite an important session, so we really want to encourage people to view the video.  The idea is covered in the document that has been circulated.  It would be a 20 to poo 30 minute intervention.  It's primary objective would be to introduce the thematic tracks and from a secondary perspective, it would be to align or link the DCs, BPFs and NRI interventions at the IGF to the thematic tracks where there are overlying areas.
 And it would also guide people to the relevant documents.  So the suggestion is that because the idea is to have one, it's quite important, one pre-recorded session that covers all of the three thematic or four thematic tracks and that should happen around about the same time as the separate thematic internal sessions were tabled.  So it would be around the 2nd, 3rd or 4th of November.  We will leave it to the Secretariat to determine what will be the best slot or slots.  Also has it it's pre-recorded we would want as many people to view it as possible.
 When we look at the process, we are looking at a short introduction and we are hoping that either the MAG Chair or the head of the Secretariat or someone from the IGF Secretariat would do a short introduction into what the thematic tracks are for and how they fit into the overall program, et cetera.  And then a short pre-recorded intervention from the data environment conclusion and trust tracks.  Our proposal is that this would be one of the facilitators from those specific tracks that would record a short intervention.
 And then that would be followed by the BPFs which could be Win or  Serenia or someone determined by the BPF followed by the DC, that could be Anja or somebody, the NRIs, again, all of these would be short,  three-minute interventions.  We don't want something long.  Shorter works.  Longer does not work.
 The idea is really to create some short script, make it interesting, keep to the point.  There would then be a very short closing which would just basically close off and feedback into the overall IGF program.
 What came out of the meeting that took place on Monday is that each of these sessions or sections should be viewed in two ways, one as something that flows into the overall total video, 25 or 30 minute video, but also can be used separately so that, say, for example, the short-term intervention on BPF or trust, this could be tagged as a video somewhere else in the program.
 So these snippets and videos would exist beyond the introduction session.  What we are looking for is the Secretariat to help with a final guide on, you know, what should happen in these videos, some guidance.  The thought is that the individual groups could self-record these, and then the Secretariat would then stitch them all together.
 So for each of the groups which include the DCs, the IGFs and BPFs is to see if they could come up with a short three-minute script, identify the person that would do the particular video, record the video, which might be several different recordings to get it right, and then get those into the Secretariat who would then stitch them all together, and then for the MAG Chair and the Secretariat to look at the script and the recording of the opening and closing messages.
 So I'm going to leave it there for the moment, and just open it to the floor, back to the floor for discussions if there are any.  Thank you.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks a lot for that, Paul.  Does anyone have any  questions?  I see nothing.  Anyone also who was on the call with us yesterday, do you want to add anything?  Ben, do you have anything to add?
 >> BEN WALLIS:  Hi.  So it's been more or less with the transcript.  Just as we were talking earlier about how the main sessions seem to be really close to being ready and being finalized, now that we have this document setting out how the introductory sessions are to be organized, it's important that the different thematic Working Groups get to work to decide what they are going to say in three in three minutes so obviously we have the narratives that were developed at the start of the year, and I think it was talked about how there will be contents within the guide related to each of the sections.
 So, yes, maybe between Paul and you, Anriette and myself, we can, and the Secretariat, we can kind of make sure there are some clear actions  going out to the MAG list so that everyone can get working on their contribution to the introductory session.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks for that, Ben.  Thanks for adding that because it's really not trivial.  Expressing something concisely and easily  understandable ways is not easy.  So we do need to look at that.  So I think we have the beginnings of a work plan in the document that you and Paul developed that we do need to work with that.  Timea, please go ahead.
 >> TIMEA SUTO:  Thank you so much, and thanks for the hard work for everyone who has been involved in this.  I think it's a great proposal.  Just to follow up on what Ben just said, I think it would be great if the Secretariat or Ben, Paul, if you have the time to drive this process and be clear with deadliness and what is expected.  If I can suggest if you can provide some guidance or guiding questions on what exactly and in what format should it be said, should it be said by the four tracks.  I think it would be need if everybody would follow sort of the same logic of what you are presenting so that we don't end up with four very different approaches to what we are saying.
 So are we focusing on the narrative or what are the sub themes?  There are many different things that we would want to say so I think it's nice if it's uniform.
 >> CHAIR:  That's a very good idea.  It could even, perhaps, be in an interview format, tell me what is this theme focusing on on, something like that.  And we ask everyone the same questions.  Let's work on this with the Secretariat, we have Sam Dickinson who can help with it and we will get back to you I would say by the end of next week, we should have now work plan for this.
 So thanks very much for that.  I don't see any other comments or questions or hands.  So in that case, let's move on to the final Agenda Item before any other business, and that is MAG Chair discussions.  So let me see if I can succeed in sharing my screen.
 Can you see all thee that?  It should say MAG Chair initiatives at the top.
 >> Yes, we can.
 >> CHAIR:  So just the background to these online discussions.  They really are two contextual factors that led me to take this initiative, and to get the support of the Working Group on IGF strategy.  The first is that the IGF is midway through its renewed mandate.  And for those of you who have participated in the annual CSDD, commission for science and technology and development session, you will know that every year there is vigorous debate about whether the IGF is meeting its mandate or not.
 And this, and all of this makes it's way into the decision making process around the future of the IGF.  So I think for us as MAG and for others in the IGF community to reflect on that, which we do, of course, all of the time, but also to document and have some discussions is an important contribution to the debate.  Secondly, the second contextual factor is the digital cooperation roadmap, which is not only about the  IGF, but the IGF and IGF plus and future IGF contribution is very much part of this.
 And the IGF Working Group's strategy on strengthening has done in depth work on this, including producing some discussion papers as well as a response to the options paper by the cochampions of recommendation 5B of the high level panel.  So the idea of these discussions is to have them public, but relatively informal, and I'm to members of the IGF community, but others as well.  So there are three different sections.  The first one is looking at the IGF in the context of the digital cooperation.
 The first one will be Wednesday.  We will be looking at particularly the proposal for a new high level body to complement the work of the MAG.  And the Working Group strategy has developed a paper that presents different ways of cooperation.  So that will be a public discussion specifically on that.  The next topic linked to the disability cooperation roadmap is looking at IGF outcomes.  That is an issue that's being highlighted in the report and in the roadmap and we are producing a discussion paper in the Working Group strategy that discusses that from various perspectives so that will be focused on that.
 And that's on that topic.  The next topic is the one that relates to broad area of the IGF's mandate.  The first discussion will be tomorrow.  I really hope to see all of you there.  And it's focusing on S factors, forms and Dynamic Coalition igs.  The intersessional modalities of the IGF and how they link with NRIs, but they won't be focused on NRIs because we have a separate discussion on NRIs.
 So we have participation from various BPFs and Dynamic Coalitions and we will look at the BPF of BPF's report, and there will be a general discussion on has worked and what has not worked that well, but very importantly, we will be exploring the discussion on how these modalities can evolve to play the role anticipated in some of the modalities talked about in the IGF such as help desk, policy information and so on.
 The next discussion will be on national, regional and youth IGF initiatives.  That will be on Tuesday, 29 September.  And Anja, I still need to add more detail on this but it will look at what's worked, what's not worked and how can we bring the N ri Is more into the IGF, and closer linkages with intersessional work, but also, again, looking at NRIs in the context of evolution in the IGF.
 And then the final area of discussions, think that's it -- oh, no, there is another one.  I forgot, very important one, 2.3, participation and inclusion from 2006 to 2019.  This online discussion will be framed by research that's being conducted by research ICT Africa looking as using IGF statistics, registration statistics, but looking at how the IGF has changed and evolved with regard to participation, people from the Global South, from different sectors, Governments, business, society, et cetera, but also looking at some of the thematic content of the IGF through the lens of participation and inclusion.
 And Anri Van Der Spuy is doing the research and she will present findings to us and we will have an open discussion, so that's an important discussion for MAG members to participate in.  And then the final one which I need to work with, and, please, I need the MAG Working Group on linguistic diversity to work with me on this, look shan has offered, we will be looking at linguistic diversity, challenges and achievements in the IGF, as well as ways in which the IGF can enhance its capacity to accommodate the immense diversity in the IGF community.
 And then the time one on the IGF 2020 midway mandate theme will be a discussion on the IGF as a platform for, and this will be interesting as it relates to digital cooperation, because there is an issue with the Secretary-General office that is looking at capacity building.  And but this discussion will reflect on how the IGF has been a platform for and how it can strengthen its contribution, and it will be used as an input document, as a discussion document, consultancy report that the Secretariat commissioned last year, which I actually produced in my capacity then as consultant to the figure.
 And it has a proposal for a framework to the figure.  And then the third discussion area will be area three, frameworks for addressing  emerging Internet issues and that's a discussion that ISOC has aproposed and asked me to convene together with them which will look at how, what models can be used for addressing emerging Internet issues on an ongoing basis.
 And it will draw on work that ISOC has done which looks at the properties of the Internet itself.  And using that as a framework for approaching emerging Internet issues.
 I will go to the last paragraph here, the goal of the discussion is to solicit feedback on the properties that are identified by these frameworks and to work with the IGF community to identify use cases and case studies that could use such a framework as a guide.  And ISOC will be presenting some of their thinking and appropriate discussion, and we might actually, I have just been in touch with them, to have that discussion over two different sessions.  So there will be this one on 20 October.
 And I think that is it.  I'm sorry that I have taken so much time, but MAG members have asked me to provide more detail on this.  So any questions or comments?
 I have stopped my sharing so we can go back to the agenda.  I'm just checking for hands.  I wonder, Titi if you can add a little bit from the perspective of the Working Group strategy.
 >> TITTI CASA:  We think this is a very useful initiative, first of all to broad discussion that we are going inside the Working Group.  As we have said, we actually have done a lot of work, first of all, in trying to draft a post document to the option paper.  It is almost ready.  We are just collecting the last comments from the participants.
 And at the same time, a good discussion was on the model to  productionallize the MAG 11 body.  There were a lot of wonderful ideas and one more has been raised in the last day.  So I think all of our discussions is a way also to share with the community and to broaden the discussion that is very important for the moment that we are living in this period of the evolution of the IGF platform.
 So this is from my side.  Thanks, Anriette.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks, Titi.  I think it would be good actually to share, because those drafts are nearly done, to share them with the MAG.
 >> TITTI CASA:  Okay.  I will do it.
 >> TIMEA SUTO:  Thank you an reyet and thank you for sharing details with us.  I'm trying to follow the evolution of this item, I really appreciate having seen the overview because I have been a bit absent from it, so apologies for that.  I'm sorry if I have been asking questions that have been asked before.  But my -- so you said that the incentive for having the discussion comes from the discussions of TSTD at the annual discussions of the follow-up as well as from the roadmap.  So do we take it that any messages or outcomes from these sessions are to be collected and fed back to these discussions or are they going to be used by the Working Group on strategy?  Or just for me to understand where, where any outcomes of these discussions -- how they will be captured first and then where will they be directed?  Thank you.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks Timea.  These are informal discussions.  We don't really have the resources to capture the outcomes.  If there are MAG members who are willing to volunteer to assist with that, that would be great.  I'm reluctant to take the Secretariat's time, but we will record the sessions and we will try and capture some highlights which I can share in my blog or in the MAG Chair's session, the MAG Chair activities page on the website.
 And as far as the CSTD, the formal review of the IGF, I think as you probably know CSTD has very strict rules for what it accepts as input tz.  I think it will be put to CSTD members if they want to refer to any of these documents.  I think the research, the research ICT Africa is doing will be independent research, it will be rigorous research and they will publish it and it will be available for others to use.
 Similarly, the discussion papers produced by the Working Group  strategy.  So the short answer is these discussions are intended to deepen engagement, and broaden engagement on the whole IGF plus evolution as well as on the IGF and its mandate.  So the people inside the IGF community has the opportunity, have the opportunity to talk about the IGF and about what's working and what's not working.
 And to me, that is an indirect input into both the roadmap process as well as the CSTD review of the IGF.  I certainly do not feel that it would have the legitimacy to stand as formal input, and in fact that's really not the intention.  It's just to give us an opportunity to self-reflect and engage in critical and constructive discussion about our own work and about the evolution of the IGF.

 >> TIMEA SUTO:  Thank you.  That's very helpful.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks Tim mayia.  I will try to make that clear in the discussions as well.  Ben.
 >> BEN WALLIS:  Thanks.  I had a comment and a minor question.  So I like what you are saying about deepening engagement particularly case it relates to the MAG Working Group on strengthening and strategy.  So I'm a member of that Working Group, and I have been really impressed by some of the people, Anriette, that you have managed to get involved in the Working Group that you have been involved in Internet Governance discussions and since some of them since the IGF was launched, certainly a lot of them who have been closely involved around the WSIS+10 discussions and extending the mandate of the IGF and there is this impressive historical knowledge and understanding.
 >> CHAIR:  Are you back?
 >> BEN WALLIS:  I will continue.
 >> We can still hear you.
 >> BEN WALLIS:  I think and the transcript hopefully caught it.  So, yes, really impressive historical understanding of the IGF, of the people that are involved in the Working Group.  There are some MAG members, but there are former MAG members and other people from the Internet Governance system.
 But it's a limited group, so I think it's great that this is an opportunity to share some of the work that's being done in that Working Group and some of the thinking.  So it goes beyond this group of people who know each other and know the IGF and to others who are maybe newer to the IGF or have less of that background.  So I just wanted to comment.
 I took an opportunities to congratulate you and Titti on how the Working Group is going and what it's producing, but also the importance of finding ways including this theory to share the work with the broader community.  That was my extended comment.  And my minor question was most of the sessions look like they are about two hours long.  A couple of them are scheduled for four hours.  And I wondered if that was a typo or if that was intentional.
 That seems like quite a long duration for an online session.
 Thanks.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks a lot, Ben.  Thanks for the positive words.
 I must say I share your feeling about the Working Group strategy.  I have to thank Titti.  You are fantastic to work with, so it's gone much better than expected and I'm glad that we have shared.  So thanks for recognizing that, Ben.  And thanks for your contribution and everyone else on the MAG's part of that.
 And in response to your question about the two hours, that's just my bad admin.  I'm sorry.  I'm doing, I'm setting up the sessions myself and I'm doing the promo myself and I'm doing it badly.  So I will go and correct those Zoom scheduling.  It's supposed to be two hours.  The session tomorrow will be a little bit shorter because we want to finish it before the session, just remind me what is the name of the suggestion that's part of the, that's being organized from New York?  Ben, do you know what it's called?
 >> BEN WALLIS:  Yes, I do.  And it is the global digital cooperation summit.
 >> CHAIR:  That's right.  So we are finishing tomorrow's discussion on DCs and BPFs in just under two hours so that we can participate in the global digital cooperation session.
 the other sessions are also intended to be two hours long, and they will all start at 1300UTC.  Which I know is a bit late for some people in Asia, but that was the best time that we could find.  So and they are all on a Tuesday and a Wednesday to make it easy for you to remember.  The other one that's in a different time slot is the NRI session.  That one is later on in UTC.  I can't remember the details, but I will send updated information to the MAG list on this, and I really do need your help to promote them.
 Remember, they are open to everybody.  So please share them in your networks.  I don't see any hands or no one in the speaking queue.  And we have got six minutes left.  So does anyone else have anything to add to anything, announcements to make or any other news to share?  Secretariat, anything from your side?  And I actually just see that we have got our Polish host with us for next year as well.  So I wanted to welcome them too.  Denise, are you still with us from UN DESA.  So just, does anyone else have anything to share?
 >> Hi, thank you, an rehe is, Den ivmentd s here.  I just wanted to thank everybody, lots of hard work going on, so I was listening.  It's very good that we are making process, so thank you.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks for that, Denise, and I think it will be good to get an update on the high level sessions when we have our next call because I know you have been working incredibly hard on organising.
 >> Yes, we are doing our best.  I think we should give an update, yes.  But nothing from me at this moment, Anriette.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks a lot.  And Anja, anything else from you?
 >> SECRETARIAT:  Thank you Anriette, nothing from me.
 >> CHAIR:  So an that, before you all leave, Luis is going to bring up a poll for us.
 This is not terribly serious U. but I thought it would be a good thing to take the temperature.  So I don't know if any of you are on phones but it's a poll that is asking how you feel about the state of preparation for virtual IGF 2020 and there are three choices, worried, fairly confident and confident.
 We will give people another few seconds to respond.  This is like one of the reprogrammes where people have to vote, the audience have to vote and percentage keeps going up.
 >> BEN WALLIS:  While you are waiting for people to finish voting, I wonder if you or the Secretariat could confirm the date and time of the next MAG meeting.
 >> CHAIR:  Thanks for that, Ben.  Anja, can you do that for us, please.
 >> SECRETARIAT:  Yes, thank you.  So in two weeks time, that would be  6th of October at 14UTC.
 >> CHAIR:  We might have to change that in case it clashes with one of the online discussions.  Let's check and confirm with the MAG later today.  Okay.  I think we can end the polling, Luis, can everyone see that?  That's interesting.  I think we should do this poll every meeting, and see if we can get closer to having more people feel comfortable.  But fairly confident is good.
 So thanks very much, everyone for attending the meeting.  Thanks to the Secretariat for the preparation and thanks to our captioner.  And we will speak to you during interim meetings and main sessions and we will all talk again on 6th October, and I look forward to your participation in the online discussions starting tomorrow at 12UTC.  Thanks, everyone, bye. 

Контактная информация

United Nations
Secretariat of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF)

Villa Le Bocage
Palais des Nations,
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Switzerland

igf [at] un [dot] org
+41 (0) 229 173 678