You are here

BPF Gender and Access: Meeting III

‎2018 INTERNET GOVERNANCE FORUM 
BEST PRACTICE FORUM
GENDER AND ACCESS
‎- Virtual Meeting III, 3 August 2018, 15:00. UTC -‎

SUMMARY REPORT

‎1.‎    The third meeting of the BPF Gender took place on 3 August 2018, 15:00 p.m. UTC, and ‎was moderated by Radhika Radhakrishnan.‎
‎2.‎    The agenda (see Annex A1) for the meeting was the focus for the 2018 report and the ‎methodology and timeline for the same.‎
‎3.‎    Each participant was given the opportunity to introduce themselves, along with
their interest in the BPF’s work. The list of meeting participants is attached as Annex A2 ‎to this Report.‎
Summary of raised key points
‎1.‎    ‎2018 work‎
Radhika Radhakrishnan gave an update on the suggestions that have been offered for ‎the 2018 work through previous calls and mailing list engagements. Each of the ‎suggestions was deliberated on the call.‎
There is an interest in taking forward some of the work on underserved communities ‎from 2017’s report. Regarding this, many interesting ideas were forwarded on the call.‎
‎●‎    Renata Aquino Ribeiro suggested that we take a closer look at some ‎communities which have been referred to broadly in the 2017 report (such as ‎‎“women of color”) and focus on what differentiates these communities in their ‎search for meaningful access to the internet.‎
‎●‎    Anri van der Spuy pointed out that we need to look beyond the gender binary. It ‎was pointed out that while last year’s report focused on anecdotal evidence, we ‎could deepen the dimensions of the same theme this year with more grounded, ‎statistical evidence.‎
‎●‎    Aida Mahmutovic mentioned she has been in contact with entities wrt refugees ‎and migrants in Bosnia and Herzegovina to talk to the women for the report.‎
An additional focus of this year’s report could be exploring alternative ways of ‎connectivity and how they impact women. One such method could be community ‎networks that APC has done some work on.‎
‎●‎    Renata Aquino Ribeiro warned about avoiding the fetishization of community ‎networks as a solution for rural issues as this could be reductional, and ‎suggested that we could look at local and regional profiles for understanding ‎alternative forms of connectivity.‎
‎2.‎    Methodology ‎
Radhika Radhakrishnan gave an update on the proposed methodology for collecting ‎inputs. ‎
A short survey was proposed to collect inputs. Diverse groups such as the private sector, ‎government, and civil society organizations could be invited to respond to the survey.‎
‎●‎    Renata Aquino Ribeiro proposed that we have separate specific questions for ‎each stakeholder, such as private, government, etc. relating to the outcomes of ‎last year’s report.‎
‎●‎    Amrita Choudhury suggested that we could get help from volunteers and NRIs to ‎translate the survey into languages other than English.‎
‎●‎    The group agreed that it was important to maintain the sensitivity and ‎confidentiality of respondents when required. Radhika Radhakrishnan will ‎update the group with the Secretariat’s response for the use of pseudonyms in ‎the survey.‎
The survey would be complemented by face-to-face interviews carried out by focal ‎persons.‎
A Youtube repository could be made for gathering non-English inputs.‎
The group agreed upon the importance of staying closely connected with the NRIs for ‎their inputs.‎
Diverse groups working in this field could be invited to join the fortnightly calls and ‎present their work for 5 minutes each.‎
Twitter contributions could be collected through a common hashtag.‎
The group suggested that we create a map of the regional participation of contributors. ‎Efforts would be made to identify which regions need wider representation in the group. ‎Radhika Radhakrishnan will set up and share a Google Docs where active contributors ‎can put down their regional backgrounds.‎
‎3.‎    Focal points and Roles
It was agreed to identify focal points for this year’s work involving  research, collecting ‎data and collating case studies on sub-themes of this year’s focus.‎
Renata Aquino Ribeiro, Amrita Choudhury, and Aida Mahmutovic volunteered to help as ‎focal points.‎
Those interested in volunteering for the same, or those who know others engaged in the ‎field who may be interested in helping, please share it here (mailing list) so we can ‎coordinate.‎
‎4.‎    Timeline
As the Annual IGF Meet happens in November this year, the survey could be kept open ‎till mid-September. It was agreed that open-ended contributions are as always welcome, ‎but cannot be guaranteed to be included in the final report beyond September.‎
Radhika Radhakrishnan will share a draft of the survey one week before the next call so ‎the group can share their feedback and comments regarding the same, and it can be ‎taken up for further discussion on the next call.‎

Next meeting
The BPF Gender will have its fourth call the week of August 20 – August 26.‎
Please complete the Doodle poll by Wednesday, August 15. Link to the Doodle Poll: ‎
https://doodle.com/poll/6xeqs74ebitf523y
‎ ‎

Annex A1‎
Meeting Agenda

‎1.‎    ‎2018 work following the proposal‎
‎2.‎    Methodology
‎3.‎    Focal points and roles
‎4.‎    Timeline

Annex A2‎
List of participants

Aida Mahmutovic
Amrita Choudhury
Anri van der Spuy
Debora Albu ‎
Radhika Radhakrishnan
Renata Aquino Ribeiro
YingChu Chen

Contact Information

United Nations
Secretariat of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF)

Villa Le Bocage
Palais des Nations,
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Switzerland

igf [at] un [dot] org
+41 (0) 229 173 678