You are here

IGF 2018 DC Schools on Internet Governance: Schools on Internet Governance and their curricula.

DC: 

Dynamic Coalition on Schools of Internet Governance (DC-SIG)

Round Table - 90 Min

Description: 

This will be the first meeting of the DC-SIG since its organization. One of the first action points agreed upon in the formation document is: Bring together the various SIGs to compare their curricula and the way they work. The models can be documented using common terminology, to be developed, that makes learning from each of models available to all who wish to start or improve a SIG.

This meeting is a follow up from the founding meeting during the last IGF. We will discuss the following issues:

1. Schools on Internet Governance Taxonomy: There is a great variety among the existing SIGs and the features of the various types of schools. That often makes it difficult to talk about these Schools and to describe them in a less ambiguous manner. Aim is to agree on several categories and criteria for a taxonomy. 

2. Website: We will introduce a draft website for the DC-Networkincluding tools for interaction (i.e. wiki) and ask for feedback.

3. Workplan: We will look into the tasks ahead and call for participation in the network, possibly form sub working groups.

Organizers: 

Sandra Hoferichter, Rainer Rodewald; EuroSSIG

Anriette Esterhuysen; AfriSIG, Association for Progressive Communication

Avri Doria, SIG Faculty; Technicalities

Speakers: 

Sandra Hoferichter - Moderator
Avri Doria - Rapporteur
Round table composed of reps from the various Schools

Report: 

- Session Type (Workshop, Open Forum, etc.): 
Meeting of a Dynamic Coalition

Round Table

- Title: 
Schools on Internet Governance (DC-SIG)

- Date & Time: 
Tuesday, 13 November 2018, 9:00 – 10:00

- Organizer(s): 
Sandra Hoferichter, Anriette Esterhuysen, Avri Doria, Rainer Rodewald

- Chair/Moderator: 
Sandra Hoferichter

- Rapporteur/Notetaker:
Avri Doria

- List of speakers and their institutional affiliations (Indicate male/female/ transgender male/ transgender female/gender variant/prefer not to answer): 
All organisers of Schools on Internet Governance (SIG), alumni’s, faculty, supporter of SIGs

- Theme (as listed here): 
Evolution of Internet Governance

- Subtheme (as listed here): 
Broadening Stakeholder participation in Internet Governance

- Please state no more than three (3) key messages of the discussion. [150 words or less]

This meeting is a follow up from the founding meeting during the last IGF. We will discuss the following issues:

1. Schools on Internet Governance Taxonomy: There is a great variety among the existing SIGs and the features of the various types of schools. That often makes it difficult to talk about these Schools and to describe them in a less ambiguous manner. Aim is to agree on several categories and criteria for a taxonomy. 

2. Website: We will introduce a draft website for the DC-Networkincluding tools for interaction (i.e. wiki) and ask for feedback.

3. Workplan: We will look into the tasks ahead and call for participation in the network, possibly form sub working groups.

- Please elaborate on the discussion held, specifically on areas of agreement and divergence. [150 words] 

The round table and group gather discussed the web site in detail all giving recommendations for how it could be improved.

The taxonomy and data collection on existing schools was discussed and there was a general feeling that the work being done could provide the start to the development of a rich resource for people who are either starting a new school, or developing their existing school. There was also general agreement that this should be available to anyone interested, though there was a recognition that details on curricula and class presentations might be considered the intellectual property of schools and faculty.

There was general agreement, with no objections, that the group would work as a group of the whole, with Avri Doria functioning as a neutral secretariat, with service such as wiki maintenance provide by Medienstadt Leipzig e. V. The various leaders of SIGs would serve as the main drivers of the SIG.

- Please describe any policy recommendations or suggestions regarding the way forward/potential next steps. [100 words]

There was general agreement that the approach being taken to first define a taxonomy and then start collecting information on existing SIGs was the correct approach.

One the Taxonomy was further developed, work could begin on creating model curricula modules that could be used by new and continuing schools.

- What ideas surfaced in the discussion with respect to how the IGF ecosystem might make progress on this issue? [75 words]'

The global proliferation of SIGs can be understood as a major element in capacity building for the IG system and for the various stakeholders and stakeholder groups.  The IGF provides a means whereby the global schools can come together yearly to discuss progress being made, which is necessary despite online cooperative work and occasional meetings at NRI of subsets of those involved in IG education.

- Please estimate the total number of participants. 

Over 100.

- Please estimate the total number of women and gender-variant individuals present.

Probably at least half.

No actual count was done.

- To what extent did the session discuss gender issues, and if to any extent, what was the discussion? [100 words]

Gender issues were not a focus of the discussion.  The idea was capacity building for all. n Gender issues are included among the taxonomies list of subject areas for curricula building.

Session Time: 
Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 09:00 to 10:00
Room: 
Salle X

Contact Information

United Nations
Secretariat of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF)

Villa Le Bocage
Palais des Nations,
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Switzerland

igf [at] un [dot] org
+41 (0) 229 173 678