The concept of "Data Free Flow with Trust" (DFFT) intersects technology, commerce, and governance. At its core, DFFT proposes facilitating the unimpeded movement of data across geographical boundaries, while simultaneously upholding trust and security. It looks to strike the balance between the vast potential of global data mobility and the safeguarding of user rights and privacy. DFFT can boost research and innovation, especially in areas like climate risk mitigation and global public health, and can help accelerate progress on fulfilling other key sustainable development objectives.
This session will seek to give a better general understanding of DFFT, examine its implications, and identify potential areas of agreement for its application. Focus issues will include data localization, data sharing in sectors of strategic importance, and regulatory cooperation for seamless cross-border data transfers.
Main and Cross-cutting Subthemes: Data Governance & Trust | Global Digital Governance & Cooperation | AI & Emerging Technologies
• Ms. Shivanee Thapa, Senior News Editor and Presenter, Nepal Television
• Mr. Taro Kono, Minister for Digital Transformation, Japan
• Mr. Junhua Li, UN Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs
• Mr. Timothy Masiu, Minister of Communications and Information Technology, Papua New Guinea
• Ms. Leonida Mutuku, AI Research and Strategy Lead, Local Development Research Institute