European Schoolnet - Insafe
We have always hoped that our digital tools would create connections, not conflict. In unprecedented times - such as during the global corona virus pandemic – we are using the internet and online services more than perhaps ever before. Being online is providing a lifeline for everyone in society from the old to the young, workers and learners, and the vulnerable and curious.
While the ways we are substituting for in-person interaction are not perfect, we are seeing an explosion of creativity (e.g. virtual yoga classes, church services or dinner parties) as people try to use technology as a bridge across physical distance.
While the corona virus pandemic is teaching us to use the internet as it was always meant to be used: to connect with one another, share information and resources it is also important to remind ourselves of a few key points to keep safe online.
During this day 0 event participants together with experts from the Insafe- INHOPE network of Safer Internet Centres will discuss issues such as:
- Talking with children and young people about the pandemic. - Talking with vulnerable groups (e.g. minors, older people and people with disabilities) about their technology use. - Embracing the benefits of social media to help us get through difficult times. - Online learning. - Being mindful of online contacts and connections. Keeping personal information private. - Choosing online tools carefully and thinking before sharing content. - Disinformation and scams.
Hence, discussion during this pre-event will go in line with the IGF 2020 thematic tracks: (1) Data, (3) Inclusion and (4) Trust and to wider extend (2) Environment.
Format: - Introductory panel discussion with online safety and educational experts from the Insafe-INHOPE network of Safer Internet Centres, Better Internet for Kids Youth Ambassadors and representatives from social media companies/internet service providers.(30 minutes). - Feedback and questions from the audience.(20 minutes). - Conclusion and ways to move forward.(10 minutes).
- Sabrina Vorbau, European Schoolnet - Insafe
- Sofia Rasgado, Portuguese Safer Internet Centre | Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia
- Deborah Vassallo, Foundation for Social Welfare Services
- Evangelia Daskalaki, Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas