Terms of Reference
Vacancy: Consultant (Graphic Designer)
United Nations Department of Social and Economic Affairs (UN-DESA) / Division for Public Institutions and Digital Government (DPIDG) / Internet Governance Forum (IGF) Secretariat
I. Organisation Setting and Reporting
The second phase of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) held in Tunis on 16 – 18 November 2005, requested the Secretary-General, amongst other, to convene “a new forum for multi-stakeholder policy dialogue – the Internet Governance Forum (IGF)”. The Internet Governance Forum Secretariat is based in the United Nations Offices at Geneva (UNOG). The mandate of the IGF, set out in Paragraph 72 of the Tunis Agenda for the Information Society is to discuss the main public policy issues related to Internet governance in order to foster the sustainability, robustness, security, stability and development of the Internet.
Under the overall supervision of the Programme and Technology Manager of the IGF Secretariat, the Consultant will be responsible for visually formatting the IGF 2021 final output documents.
II. Duration of Contract
The proposed contract will be for 30 working days, between 10 November 2021 and 21 January 2022.
III. Duty Station
There is no specific duty station for this post. The Consultant is not required to work on UN premises, but must be available for supervisory and review meetings/teleconferences.
The Consultant will not be required to travel.
V. Activities, Expected Outputs and Milestones
Under the overall supervision of the Programme and Technology Manager of the IGF Secretariat, the Consultant will be responsible for formatting the IGF 2021 final output documents and supporting visual designs of outreach materials. Namely, the following outputs need to be formatted:
- Syllabus for schools on Internet governance
- Best Practice Forum on Cybersecurity output document
- Best Practice Forum on Gender and Digital Rights output document
- Policy Network on Meaningful Access output document
- Policy Network on Environment output document
- Compendium of NRIs 2021 discussion priorities
- IGF 2021 Final Summary Report
- IGF 2021 Progress Report
- Visual cards and infographics to promote IGF 2021
To format these outputs, the Consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Suggest designs for visual formatting of the outputs using relevant computer systems and software applications for approval of the supervisor. (2 days) - Due date, 16 November.
- Design the cover pages for all outputs using relevant software and techniques. (5 days) - Due date, 23 November.
- Upon submission of the output documents, design the layout of the IGF 2021 outputs listed above using appropriate software techniques and creativity. Perform desktop publishing to produce the print material and publications, using relevant computer systems and software applications. (15 days) – Due date ongoing.
- Prepare several visual cards, infographics and storyboards for outreach and promotion of the IGF 2021 annual meeting including its issue areas as well as all its produced outputs, based on creativity and artistic techniques. (5 days) - Due date, 19 November.
- Advise how to design the page on the IGF website to present all IGF 2021 produced outputs. (1 day) - Due date, ongoing.
- Perform other related work as required, including infographic and printmaking designs. (2 days) - Due date, ongoing.
VI. Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Academic Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent. A first level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in fine arts is desirable.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software such as Adobe InDesign; and graphic design software such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. Samples of previous would be appreciated to enclose with the application.
- Experience: At least 3 years of experience in publication production, including desktop publishing, graphic design and layout, or related area is required.
VII. Performance Indicators
The performance of the Consultant will be measured by the following indicators:
- Timely submission of outputs;
- Quality of the outputs demonstrating clear and easy readability;
- Positive feedback from IGF Programme and Technology Manager.
VIII. Terms of Payment
The Consultant’s fee will be commensurate with extensive work experiences, expected knowledge and expertise, and meeting the required educational background.
Payments will be initiated upon successful completion or documented progress made on tasks as mentioned in the Terms of Reference.
The Consultant will be paid a lump sum upon certification from the Supervisor that the tasks have been satisfactorily carried out.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Interested candidates can forward a completed PHP form to the IGF Secretariat with attached some samples of previous work at: [email protected] until 26 October 2021.