E-commerce sales around the world surged in March 2020, as the Covid-19 pandemic forced a shift in online shopping. Adobe surveys found that 9% of U.S. consumers, 8% of Japanese consumers, and 15% of United Kingdom consumers said they had never purchased anything online before March 2020, but significant consumer shifts mean that global e-commerce sales reached $876 billion in the first quarter of 2021, up 38% year-over-year.
Despite its remarkable growth, e-commerce faces an array of threats that must be addressed. Cyber and data security have never been more important for consumers and online retailers, with banks needing to step up and ensure that the rapid expansion of online sales can be met with safe and secure payment systems. In a borderless world, it is of paramount importance that adequate governance of the e-commerce space is introduced.
Hybrid Format of the Session:
60-minutes interactive roundtable discussion with introductory remarks and open floor for questions and answers.
Understanding specific challenges and examples of good practices on local levels.
The moderator will follow the agreed set of policy and will allow for introductory, case study remarks by the NRIs speakers. This will be followed by engaging other present participants into developing an interactive discussion.
A dedicated online moderator will be placed next to the onsite moderator. All participants will be using the online speaking queue to be treated equally in their requests for interventions. All input presentations will be made available at the IGF website and links will be shared via the online tool.
- Bolivia IGF, Roberto Zambrana
- Youth LACIGF, Eileen Berenice Cejas
- Ecuador IGF, Carlos Vera
- France IGF, Lucien Castex
- Spain IGF, Felix Hernandez-Gil
- Cote d’Ivoire IGF, Fanny Salyou
- Nigeria IGF, Adisa Bolutife
- IGF-USA, Dustin Loup
Speakers delegated by the NRIs organizers:
- Carlos Vera, Member, Ecuador IGF
- Adisa Bolutife, Nigeria IGF
Connection to SDGs:
- GOAL 1: No Poverty
- GOAL 2: Zero Hunger
- GOAL 3: Good Health and Well-being
- GOAL 4: Quality Education
- GOAL 5: Gender Equality
- GOAL 6: Clean Water and Sanitation
- GOAL 7: Affordable and Clean Energy
- GOAL 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth
- GOAL 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- GOAL 10: Reduced Inequality
- GOAL 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
- GOAL 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
- GOAL 13: Climate Action
- GOAL 14: Life Below Water
- GOAL 15: Life on Land
- GOAL 16: Peace and Justice Strong Institutions
- GOAL 17: Partnerships to achieve the Goal