Internet governance within the system of United Nations: is IGF on a good path to adapt, innovate and reform?
20 June 2022, 16:30-18:00 CEST
Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, Italy
SISSA Main Auditorium, Zoom link TBC
Much on digital policy and related processes is happening across the United Nations system. The Internet Governance Forum (IGF) is actively working on ‘adapting, innovating and reforming’. It recently concluded its second retreat, the Expert Group Meeting, from which a number of action points are subject to implementation and expected to trigger a change. In addition, as a concrete action point from the Roadmap for Digital Cooperation, the IGF has reformed its structure by introducing the Leadership Panel. What to expect from the Panel?
The Secretary-General went steps further the Roadmap by issuing its Our Common Agenda Report. Can this vision for ‘’reinvigorating multilateralism’’ trigger re-energization of multistakeholderism? What are the Global Digital Compact and Summit of the Future about and how can all stakeholders be part of them including those gathered around various intersessional processes of the IGF?
This will be an open, interactive, roundtable exchange between those working directly on the above-mentioned UN processes and those contributing or wishing to contribute to it. It will be an opportunity to challenge the status quo and provide creative ideas to strengthen the existing processes.
The proposed draft agenda of the session is:
- WSIS+20 – where do we stand today? How much has Internet governance changed? How much has IGF changed? Will the IGF 2022 in Addis Ababa be the change we want to see? How can the IGF feed into the WSIS+20 review process?
- IGF in the context of the implementation of the Secretary-General’s Roadmap for Digital Cooperation – what’s been done so far and where people can contribute?
- Can we hope for better days if the Our Common Agenda is implemented? What is the concrete plan for the Global Digital Compact and a vision for the Summit of the Future? What role could the IGF play?
- About the IGF https://www.intgovforum.org/en/about
- Tunis Agenda for the Information Society https://www.itu.int/net/wsis/docs2/tunis/off/6rev1.html
- IGF Expert Group Meeting https://www.intgovforum.org/en/content/igf-expert-group-meeting
- IGF 2022 in Ethiopia https://www.intgovforum.org/en/content/igf-2022
- UN Secretary-General’s Roadmap for Digital Cooperation https://www.un.org/en/content/digital-cooperation-roadmap/
- UN Secretary-General’s Our Common Agenda https://www.un.org/en/un75/common-agenda