The format of the session will be a Conference. The moderator gives the floor to the Adminisrator of Francophonie to introduce the topic. After these, M. Dandjinou will present a keynote on the challenges of digital transformation in developing French-speaking countries. Then, the floor will be given to the speakers one by one for a short presentation of their perspectives about development cooperation in the Francophone space in terms of digital transformation for sustainable development. The interventions will cover actions undertaken or envisaged in the areas of Education and Vocational Training, Culture, Political Issues and Democratic Governance, Data Governance, Common Goods and Emerging Technologies as the Big One. data, artificial intelligence, etc. Then, the floor will be given to the participants (onsite and remotely) for discussion; Speakers may participate in the discussion by answering questions or commenting on interventions. The moderator then summarize the discussion and close the conference.
International Organization of Francophonie
- Adama OUANE, Administrator of OIF - Pierre DANDJINOU, RVP, Global Stakeholder Engagement, AFRICA, ICANN - Ms Mona LAROUSSI, Deputy Director of the Institute for Education and Training, Dakar - Ms Mireille EZA, Director of Program "NORIA", Assemblée parlementaire de la Francophonie - M.Emmanuel ADJOVI, M. Director of OIF Regional Office for Caribbean and Latin American Countries (BRECAL) - Ms Youma FALL, Director of french langage and cultural and linguistic diversity of OIF ; Mr Abdelkader ZIGHIED, Director of Digital Department – Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (Technical community)
El Hadji Malick NDIAYE
- Session Type (Workshop, Open Forum, etc.): Open Forum 14
- Title: La Francophonie et la transformation numérique
- Date & Time: 12.30-13.30
- Organizer(s): International Organisation of the Francophonie/Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie (OIF)
Mr. Pierre DANDJINOU, RVP, Global Stakeholder Engagement, AFRICA, ICANN
Ms Nelly KWENDE
Mr. Kossi Amessinou
- List of speakers and their institutional affiliations (Indicate male/female/ transgender male/ transgender female/gender variant/prefer not to answer):
- Ms Hary ANDRIAMBOVOANJY, iDirector of digital and economical Francophonie, interim Administrator of OIF (Intergovernemental)
- Mr Abdelkader ZIGHIED, Director of Digital Department – Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (Technical community)
- Ms Mireille EZA, Director of Program "NORIA", Assemblée parlementaire de la Francophonie (Parliament)
- Mr. Emmanuel ADJOVI, M. Director of OIF Regional Office for Caribbean and Latin American Countries (BRECAL) (intergovernmental)
- Ms Nelly PORTA, Assistant Director of French Langage and Cultural and Linguistic Diversity of OIF (Intergovernmental)
- Theme (as listed here):
Development, Innovation & Economic Issues
- Subtheme (as listed here):
INTERNET FOR DEVELOPMENT & SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
- Please state no more than three (3) key messages of the discussion. [150 words or less]
The great accelerations of recent years with the global race to capture personal data, the rapid and continuous development of emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, Big Data, blockchains and internet of things open new battlefields that offer interesting perspectives for the Francophonie countries. They will be able to count in the coming world if they lay the bricks needed to build the industries of tomorrow.
Francophonie supports the integration of digital into public policies. She accompanied research centers and public reading. It also promoted the least available languages on the internet.
Digital technology will help to build an education industry for the benefit of member states of the Francophonie.
International Organisation of Francophonie, has a lot of supporting program to achieve this goals. All the principal department of the organisation do capacity building for the countries member.
The big fight is to increase the use of French in digital areas and then promote digital industry in French speaking countries.
- Please elaborate on the discussion held, specifically on areas of agreement and divergence. [150 words]
The time allowed to this open forum was to short to have efficient discussion but moreover a lot of questions has been asked on the session. Some of them are the following :
How to deal with GAFA without having an alternative industry? What is the regulation adapted to new challenges such as big data, the Internet of Things and artificial intelligence? What is the progress of the FinTech initiative?
One of the most important was the follow up of Erevan recommendations to turn them in concrete program and realisations.
- Please describe any policy recommendations or suggestions regarding the way forward/potential next steps. [100 words]
It is important to get funds to digitize the inaccessible heritage data of the developing countries. It is important get francophonie position on social networks shutdown in Africa by the government.
OIF has to support program and project who can increase digitalisation in francophone countries and fight for more cultural and language diversity on the internet.
- What ideas surfaced in the discussion with respect to how the IGF ecosystem might make progress on this issue? [75 words]
We need to create an ecosystem to have the data industry. The network of Francophonie digital ministers is being formalized and IGF ecosystem must help to build a strong plateform to help the French speaking countries particularly the subsaharian African one to spread digital spirit and work for digital inclusion through OIF.
- Please estimate the total number of participants.
- Please estimate the total number of women and gender-variant individuals present.
20 women and 30 men
- To what extent did the session discuss gender issues, and if to any extent, what was the discussion? [100 words]
The Francophonie has promoted women in the digital ecosystem.