IGF 2023 High-Level Track
Ms. Věra Jourová
Vice-President for Values and Transparency, European Commission
- Leading the Commission’s work on values and transparency, upholding the rule of law.
- Ensuring the democratic system is open, transparent, protected from external interference.
- Chairing the Commissioners’ Group on a New Push for European Democracy.
- Playing an active role in the Conference on the Future of Europe and its follow-up on democratic processes and institutional matters
- Brokering talks on improving, notably, the lead candidate system and transnational lists.
- Maintaining an open, transparent and regular dialogue with other EU institutions, citizens, representative associations and civil society.
- Coordinating an EU Democracy Action Plan to address external intervention in EU elections.
- Tabling legislative proposals to ensure more transparency in paid political advertising and clearer rules on financing European political parties.
- Supporting work on countering disinformation and fake information, while preserving freedom of expression, freedom of the press and media pluralism.
- Monitoring implementation of the Code of Practice, with regulatory intervention if necessary.
- Identifying risks to plurality in the media sector, and proposing cross-border projects to support independent and diverse journalistic activities.
- Leading talks on a Transparency Register and independent ethics body for EU institutions.
- Coordinating the European Citizens’ Initiative, giving European more say in decision making.
- Leading the work on the EU’s accession to the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Monitoring the application of the Charter of Fundamental Rights.
- Safeguarding the right of peaceful assembly and the freedom of association.
- Raising awareness of EU citizenship rights with the Rights, Equalities and Citizenship Programme.
- Coordinating work on inclusion and building a genuine Union of equality and diversity.
- During the period of the temporary withdrawal of Executive Vice-President Vestager from the work of the Commission, Vice-President Jourová was assigned the steering and coordination responsibility for ‘A Europe Fit for the digital age’
- Setting the strategic direction of the political priority "Europe Fit for the Digital Age".
- Coordinating work on a European strategy on data and on a European approach to artificial intelligence, including its human and ethical implications.
- Steering work on upgrading liability and safety rules for digital platforms, services and products as part of a new Digital Services Act, ensuring working conditions of platform workers are properly addressed.
- Coordinating the Commission's work to achieve fair digital taxation.
- Chairing the Commissioners’ Group on a Europe Fit for the Digital Age
- Co-leading on a strategy on small and medium-sized businesses and start-ups and a long-term strategy for the EU's industrial future.
- Ensuring synergies between civil, defence and space industries.